Author Topic: New Kibler 40 cal Southern Mountain Rifle Kit with Pic's of Thumb Piece  (Read 2862 times)

Offline canadianml1

It's all boxed up and will soon be on its way to me. Now I have to stop procrastinating and finish the JC fowler ...............................no excuses!

Must get motivated!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 11:14:33 PM by canadianml1 »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: New Kibler 40 cal Southern Mountain Rifle Kit
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 09:45:20 PM »
Motivation is an interesting issue.  You must ask yourself some serious questions...like ie:  Am I procrastinating because I'm afraid of making a mistake?  Am I committed to this gun?  Do I have the patience to see it through to finish?  Am I in over my head?  ...and the list is personal and goes on and on.  And if these are hard questions, try building one for someone else! 
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline canadianml1

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 11:38:05 PM »
Yep!!!  Those are all the questions that I ask myself every time I have to face a difficult part of the gun. And they are the reasons that I am so good at procrastinating. But TODAY, just now, I finished the LAST difficult operation.............. putting four silver brads into the oval thumb piece to secure it in place............... DONE and they all disappeared on filing and polishing like they are supposed to. If they did't disappear, I' would be stuck with the eye sore forever!

Just finishing wood and metal now.........easy stuff. 

« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 05:23:28 AM by canadianml1 »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 11:57:07 PM »
Well done!
Pictures required, or it didn't happen.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline canadianml1

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 03:31:35 AM »
Duh how do I get pictures to this forum? Someone please explain. Thanks

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 04:22:09 AM »
First topic in Misc tutorials will walk you through it.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline canadianml1

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 05:14:12 AM »
Thank you Dennis.

Grant

Offline canadianml1

I didn't get my JC fowler quite finished before my smr arrived. Oh well.

Got most of the smr together with no difficulties at all. It went together like a dream! Jim has really paid attention to details so that builders will have an easy time putting his guns together. The CNC machining is spot on. I just need to drill the barrel lugs and install the ramrod pipes. I have a patch box on the way and will add a muzzle caplet of brass (probably)...................then finish metal and wood and then off to the range.

I must say that the design  of the gun is nothing short of elegant! Very pleased!!!

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Remember when you drill the lugs to elongate your holes parallel with the barrel.

Offline canadianml1

Yep Bob, thanks for the reminder! 

Offline canadianml1

Well the Kibler SMR is fully assembled............................easy peasy. For first time folks the Kibler SMR should be easy to assemble and the gun truly is a beauty.

I'll post some pic's when the finishing and decorations/options are done.

Any pointers on using bone black would be appreciated, Thanks.

Offline flinchrocket

Did you watch kiblers video, should get you through.

Offline canadianml1

I watched all of Jim's videos before I even bought the kit. They really sold me as it became clear to me watching the videos that the kit was really easy to assemble (10 hours tops) which is what I was looking for. I wanted a light groundhog/coyote gun for THIS summer and fall and the other kits would take me to Christmas to finish if I worked steady on any one of them. I really did not expect the gun to be so lovely but it is really a beautiful design and the quality and fit and finish of all the parts of the kit is superb!

I just have to put on the options: patch box from TOW (modified), toe plate and muzzle caplet(?) and oil finish on the wood and brass black on the steel.

Thanks to all that took the time to comment.