Author Topic: Bear Load?  (Read 10994 times)

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Bear Load?
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2020, 08:20:36 PM »
As with every game animal shot, shot placement is key. Bear internals are laid out just a tad different than a deer for example. Just forward and below the mid section seems to be your best shot on a broadside shot. I shoot a 4 dram load of Swiss 1&1/2 with a .610 ball.

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2020, 08:30:58 PM »
I used to know a guy that got tired of routine archery over bait kills and last I heard from him was going to try a boar spear. Never heard back... :o
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2020, 08:32:35 PM »
Sorry. I see many guys posting their loads. BTW; typing error on weight. Daryl caught it. It should have been 190gr not 290 gr.

I'm sorry too. I read your post too fast and thought you said CVA and a PB. I was thinking an inline. I would have noticed 290gr too had I slowed down.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2020, 09:34:18 PM »
I used to know a guy that got tired of routine archery over bait kills and last I heard from him was going to try a boar spear. Never heard back... :o
Some years back, Taylor loaned a spear to an archery friend (& big game guide). He-too had grown bored shooting bears with is bow, so he practiced throwing it all
summer long, into this archery butt. Come fall and bear season, he positioned himself on a trail used by bears when leaving an oat field.  His 'throw' was at about
12 feet, into the low neck/chest, the bear collapsed in his tracks with heart cut into 2 pieces. The entrance hold was a 8" wide slice.
So - what's next, short Zulu stabbing spear or sword?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2020, 10:06:23 PM »

So - what's next, short Zulu stabbing spear or sword?

A bowie knife.  :)

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2020, 11:35:49 PM »
According to legend... ::)

Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline canadianml1

« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2020, 12:21:37 AM »
If you intend to hunt bear by chasing them down and stabbing them........ the best way to train in the off season is to chase down squirrels on foot. When you can catch squirrels with ease by chasing them down you are ready for bear hunting.............not before!  Just saying!

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2020, 12:26:37 AM »
My dog can't even catch squirrels. I could catch a turtle.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2020, 12:58:31 AM »
LOL - me too - if it was tired out.  Dang box turtles can really move if they want to.
Daryl

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2020, 06:56:27 PM »
Well, the second draw is complete and I got the bear tag. I failed at a 2nd deer tag though.

I may give up the deer tag I have and concentrate on the bear hunt. Our muley herd in my area are still hurting.

Online Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2020, 03:51:14 PM »
I failed in the second chance draw out there for mulies, too, but don't think I'll drive that far for bears when we have them here in Maryland!

The big old time bear hunter in our state, Meshach Browning, killed a lot of bears with a knife back in the 1800's, but they were either fighting his dogs, already wounded or in a bear pen trap.  I don't think anyone is running one down.   ;D
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2020, 07:07:00 AM »
I'm too old to be running down bears. No need to . Just rub your hat with fried chicken and wait for the bear to come to you  ;D

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2020, 04:05:12 PM »
That would be baiting. Not legal here.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2020, 07:33:52 PM »
Is it legal to eat a bacon sandwich.  ::)

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2020, 07:43:53 PM »
You go first.  :o

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2020, 08:50:29 AM »
Ok, I need your opinions. I have my own but want to see what you guys say.

I have a .50 now. PRB of course. I was just going to hunt for deer but I have an urge to hunt for bear too. I'll be using Goex 3F. What would you use for a powder load?

This will be a stalking hunt, so the distance can vary. Generally, our bears aren't that big but we have some big ones too. A 500lb bear isn't out of the question but it is rare.

I've always used a .54, so i'm unsure about the power of a .50.

I shoot 70-90 gt of FFF. 70 Swiss, 90 anything else. More is a waste of powder. If you need more penetration used a harder ball it will also help with bone breaking. Extra velocity will not = better penetration with pure lead.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2020, 03:06:39 PM »
Dan.........I've gone back to a .54. My load is 85gr of Goex 3F. It's my elk load and should work ok for bear too. I use nothing but pure lead balls.

I love to sneak in close for all game. I enjoy that type of hunting more than taking longer shots. So, my load of 80gr works good.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 10:44:18 PM by OldMtnMan »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2020, 11:20:41 PM »
Sounds great Pete. Going with something you know & are familiar with, is never a poor choice.
Makes me wonder, though, at which calibre 3F and 2F give the same external ballistics (vel.)
In my .69, 2F gives greater vel. than 3F, but at lower pressures. I can shoot loads with 2F and a .020"
denim patch & .682" ball, that I cannot shoot using 3F due to it blowing the patches.
As 3F gives higher velocities than 2F in most guns, at some bore size, the velocities will actually be equal.(not that it matters much.
Daryl

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2020, 11:55:50 PM »
In my 10 bore , with .735 balls or .715 balls [ I use the smaller ones when using paper cartridges ]
my "bear" load or maximum load is determined by my recoil tolerance. In my gun that = 140 gr FFg
From my experience, I think that load , using a ball cast of WW. will shoot through and through most anything I might encounter.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2020, 12:53:31 AM »
I agree - buddy Keith uses WW .735" balls in his .75 English gun and 120gr. now, just to keep balls inside his moose. He likes to show the recovered balls off.
When using 150gr. to 200gr., all exit.
Daryl

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2020, 01:07:24 AM »
With my fragile bones from Osteoporsis the 85gr of 3F in a .54 is my limit. I make it work by getting close.

In another thread I mention elk hunting will be my only hunt after this year. I think the 85gr will be good for elk too. I'm having October Country make me up an 85gr antler tip powder measure. All my practice and hunting will be with that load from now on. I'm hoping it won't bang my cheek too bad.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2020, 03:06:18 AM »
Understandable for sure, Pete.  do what you have to.  I'm a mite too sore to hunt for elk - whitetails is about it, any more.
The muleys around here are too gamey for me.
Daryl

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2020, 04:01:36 PM »
Muleys are bad here too. They taste like sage. I eat the meat but don't like it. Same for bear. They can be really bad tasting according to what they've been eating

For me, elk always taste good. Not just good but great. I prefer elk over any other meat including beef.

In my case Daryl. Elk hunting is the easiest hunt I can do. If I hunt for deer or bear i'm on my own. I have to do the whole hunt myself. That includes skinning, quartering, and hauling out the meat. I'm at the point with my back that I don't think I can do that anymore. I don't consider it an option anymore.

With elk hunting. I'm hunting with my Lakota friend. Elk hunting is all he'll do. All I need to do is the hunt and kill. He does all of the skinning, quartering, and hauling out the meat. In return we can hunt some of my secret spots and I give him half the meat. However, I also help him get an elk too. In which case he gives me half the meat. So, if we both get an elk we both get all the meat from an elk. For me that's a really good deal. He uses his self made longbow and I use my flintlock. The archery and muzzleloader seasons overlap, so we can hunt together.

Not many can say that elk hunting is the easiest hunt they can do but it's true in my case. So, it's the only hunt i'll be doing from now on and just happens to be the hunt I love the most and the meat I love the most too. A win-win for me.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2020, 07:33:56 PM »
A win/win for sure. Cow elk is very hard to beat for table fare.
Daryl

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2020, 07:52:41 PM »
Right you are.  ;D