Author Topic: How Would You Finish the Barrel on a Pennsylvania Fowling Piece of 1770  (Read 3846 times)

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
Friend,

So far no one has asked you the most important question:  What do you plan to do with this gun?  If you are a historical re-enactor type and want a gun that appears as if it would have when new back in the 18th century then natural steel finish is probably what you would choose.  Most original gunmakers did not spend the time to apply a finish to a gun barrel unless you are talking about a "better" gun made for a top-dollar customer.  If you want a gun that reflects an original after many years of use then you would probably select one of the barrel aging recipes that have appeared here.  If you want a serious hunting hunt then you would finish it matte brown of matte black.  There are some references to barrel browning in the 18th century writing that suggests that browning was done by the owner.  A mixture of vinegar and rock salt can be wiped on a gun barrel to produce a mottled brown.  I remember reading that  Roger's Rangers were instructed to "brown the barrels" of their muskets.

The finish you choose depends on what you plan to do with your gun.  My smoothbored gun, "Turk", has a browned barrel.

Best Regards,

JMC

Offline canadianml1

Thanks for providing all the very helpful responses. I have a few things to think about.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Here what the potted browning, sanded back, then blue knocked back looks like.

upload images

My kind of finish.

Offline canadianml1

smallpatch: Looks great!! I'm thinkin' "this is the ONE!". (Henceforth to be called "The smallpatch method")
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 10:15:58 PM by canadianml1 »

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
I can’t take credit for that recipe.  Thank Mr Allen Martin for that.
In His grip,

Dane

Online Stophel

• Chris Immel
I have a problem with pitted and severely worn finishes. You need to put yourself in the time that the weapon would have originally been used. If it was your gun during that time, you would have cared for it. Pitted and rough finishes are a product of 200 years of aging or neglect.

Not everyone is so careful with their guns... in fact, MANY people are quite careless, and downright abusive to their arms.  I've seen many guns that are nowhere near 200 years old, but look like they've been buried under a compost heap for two centuries....
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Online Stophel

• Chris Immel
My barrels (and locks) generally end up looking much like this one.  It was all filed bright at one time... but by the time I'm done making the gun, the metal parts have rusted plenty on their own, just from me handling it... and the horrendous swamplike Kentucky humidity.  I don't really have to work at "aging" the iron parts....  I have to work at knocking the heavy rust off to keep it from "aging" too much!

When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
My barrels (and locks) generally end up looking much like this one.  It was all filed bright at one time... but by the time I'm done making the gun, the metal parts have rusted plenty on their own, just from me handling it... and the horrendous swamplike Kentucky humidity.  I don't really have to work at "aging" the iron parts....  I have to work at knocking the heavy rust off to keep it from "aging" too much!

Yep. Mine are outside all the time, leaning against a tree half the day while I dig a hole or some such farm work. The effort to keep it bright doesn’t seem to me to be practical for a gun that would’ve been used like my ancestors would have. If it hung most of its life over the fireplace it would’ve been polished with the silverware I imagine....

Offline canadianml1

It seems that the 'natural' aging process depends very much on where the gun was used in historical times. An arid climate would go easy on bright steel whereas a 'swampy' humid climate would soon rust brown or otherwise age a steel barrel. So I presume that I am permitted to imagine that the rifle I am working on (JC fowler) was bought bright and used for a long time where ever I want and still be period correct. Am I right? Puzzling no?

( I must admit that deliberately pitting a beautifully made and gleaming Rice barrel might be a bridge too far for this aging perfectionist.)

So many choices!

Online Stophel

• Chris Immel
You are "permitted" to do whatever you want!   ;)

For me, they end up gray and "aged" before I'm even through making the gun!  Without even trying!  Unless you live in the desert, or unless you actively work to keep it rust-free, it's just gonna happen.  It's not totally inevitable, of course.  You can make sure to keep the metal well oiled/waxed, and knock off any rust that shows up, just like with any other gun.   ;)  We have 220 year old guns that have survived today with clean shiny iron parts, so it can be done.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Ok guys, last post on this.  I don’t believe this Rice looks wrecked? To me,mit looks like a well taken care of used gun.

In His grip,

Dane