Author Topic: Some recent Auction Results  (Read 2926 times)

Offline TN Longhunter

Some recent Auction Results
« on: June 12, 2020, 06:16:21 AM »
As many may know, Rock Island Auction had an auction this past weekend.  Different in that several MZ from top makers were offered. Stoner Creek has already posted photos of a great J Brennan he won.  Sold for less then the estimate and I would have been glad to pay that price. I didn't bid as I felt it would go for much more. Congratulation to Stoner!

I was bidding on two guns by Ron Ehlert. I did the sealed bid as I expected to be out working during the auction. They moved the date twice and it turns out I could have done phone bids as the rifles didn't come up till Sunday. Out bid on both by a little but glad to see the price on his guns is holding. There was a Mike Brooks rifle also offered and had been mentioned on this site. Good looking rifle.  Guess I saved my money to spend at the CLA in October.

Listings are below if you want to view them.

Ron Ehlert .52 $4025
https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/79/3204/ron-ehlert-signed-contemporary-flintlock-american-long-rifle

Ron Ehlert .54 Smooth Rifle Wire Inlay $5463
https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/79/3203/ron-ehlert-signed-engraved-and-wire-inlaid-flintlock-rifle

Mike Brooks $2875
https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/79/3205/mike-brooks-signed-contemporary-flintlock-american-long-rifle

Judd Brennan Flintlock $3163
https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/79/3199/judson-brennan-flintlock-american-long-rifle
Don Spires
Tennessee Longhunters
Patron Life NRA
NMLRA
CLA

Offline Stoner creek

Re: Some recent Auction Results
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 02:22:10 PM »
I was stunned when the bidding stopped on the Brennan gun, stunned and happy. I was ready to go higher. That rifle is going to the range today!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 02:29:16 PM »
I lost the Ron Ehlert .52 $4025 by 1 bid and like you decided not to bid on the Jud Brennan rifle. Still worked out for me because the same day I contacted Allen Martin and bought the Chuck Edwards rifle.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 02:33:32 PM »
I was stunned when the bidding stopped on the Brennan gun, stunned and happy. I was ready to go higher. That rifle is going to the range today!

If I send you a dollar will you buy me a lottery ticket and make me a millionaire? ;D
Dan

Offline TN Longhunter

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 02:47:35 PM »
Stunned would have been mild to what I would have been feeling.  I'm almost glad that I wasn't on the phone bid as I would have been tempted to place just one more bid on some of the guns. There was a nice Woodbury style rifle in .32 that went cheap (at least to me).

Let us know how the range session goes.
Don Spires
Tennessee Longhunters
Patron Life NRA
NMLRA
CLA

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 02:55:46 PM »
There was a pair of original Boutet gold mounted pimp guns that went for a cool 1/2 million. Gawd they were ugly.... I went to the viewing, there was some incredible stuff sold there that I can't talk about here. I did get to stick my head inside a civil war mortar!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 03:16:15 PM »
Wonder what the pair of original Boutet gold mounted pimp guns were per ounce? Gotta be more than if they were solid gold.
Dan

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 03:17:32 PM »

If I send you a dollar will you buy me a lottery ticket and make me a millionaire? ;D
I’d be happy to try!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 03:19:07 PM »
I did get to stick my head inside a civil war mortar!

Gawd, how much hand sanitizer did that take?
Dan

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 04:26:52 PM »
I did get to stick my head inside a civil war mortar!

Gawd, how much hand sanitizer did that take?
;D Those things were HUGE!   I did get a few strange looks.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline TN Longhunter

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2020, 06:26:21 AM »
I lost the Ron Ehlert .52 $4025 by 1 bid and like you decided not to bid on the Jud Brennan rifle. Still worked out for me because the same day I contacted Allen Martin and bought the Chuck Edwards rifle.

You got me thinking and I checked my high bid on the Ehlert .54 Smooth Rifle plus the buyers premium and someone, hope on this site, beat me by $100.

O well, more money for the CLA show.
Don Spires
Tennessee Longhunters
Patron Life NRA
NMLRA
CLA

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2020, 07:10:54 AM »
Here's the one that got away. I flipped a coin and didn't bid on this rifle which sold for $1200.00 hammer price. I would have bid at least double that! This one was the .32 by C.W. Hart similar to the House brothers style.

Dan

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2020, 01:40:53 PM »
Here's the one that got away. I flipped a coin and didn't bid on this rifle which sold for $1200.00 hammer price. I would have bid at least double that! This one was the .32 by C.W. Hart similar to the House brothers style.

That patch is real, it has a real busted wrist with a galvanized metal repair. That's what killed the price on this one. It was otherwise a very good gun.

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2020, 02:36:55 PM »
Well then if it was real I'm fortunate to have heeded the advice from the tails side of a 1956 Benjamin Franklin half dollar. What is it they say "I"d rather be lucky than good any day!" :) :)
Dan

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2020, 02:54:21 PM »
I just went and looked at the auction again for the C. W. Hart rifle. Here's what it says in the description.

"Condition
Very fine overall as custom made with beautiful antiqued finish throughout with mild texture, aged patina on the silver, attractive but subtle engraving, very fine carving, and mild wear from use and/or antiquing. Mechanically excellent."

Just one more reason to be careful at auctions. I suspect they were not being deceptive on purpose but an in person inspection prior to the auction might have been the only way to avoid a costly mistake. So lucky on my part not winning this one at least at the price I thought it was worth.
Dan

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2020, 03:30:19 PM »
I just went and looked at the auction again for the C. W. Hart rifle. Here's what it says in the description.

"Condition
Very fine overall as custom made with beautiful antiqued finish throughout with mild texture, aged patina on the silver, attractive but subtle engraving, very fine carving, and mild wear from use and/or antiquing. Mechanically excellent."

Just one more reason to be careful at auctions. I suspect they were not being deceptive on purpose but an in person inspection prior to the auction might have been the only way to avoid a costly mistake. So lucky on my part not winning this one at least at the price I thought it was worth.
Exactly!
 I bought a gun at the prior auction at Rock Island. It was a 45, signed by Herschel House and 7 others. Made at the Connor Prairie gun making class several years ago. Everything looked great! The gun came to me exactly as described. The only thing that they forgot to mention is that the gun weighs 15 pounds!! While I’m still happy with my purchase, that one will never be the offhand rifle that I was hoping that it would be. I’m going to the next auction and personally inspect what they have of interest to me.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline TN Longhunter

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2020, 11:06:00 PM »

Well, I did bid on that one and must have been topped by a few dollars. That patch bothered me so didn’t bid as much as I should.
Don Spires
Tennessee Longhunters
Patron Life NRA
NMLRA
CLA