Author Topic: James Gillespie Rifle  (Read 3360 times)

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: James Gillespie Rifle
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2021, 01:22:35 AM »
 ;) ;)... Thanx, Dennis,... great forge work,... did the Gillespies ever do any cast iron fittings,...? .... this guard is equal to the cast brass ones they used,.. have you ever seen their unique buttplate in cast iron,...?... copper rammer pipes are interesting too,... are they plain or decorated,...?

Offline Levy

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2021, 01:37:54 AM »
Dennis,  I can't tell from the pictures.  Are the ramrod pipes pinned in or do the pipe tabs extend into the barrel channel and flare out?  A JAG that I saw in Blairsville once didn't have any pins in the ramrod pipes.  James Levy
James Levy

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2021, 06:44:05 PM »
James,
They have 3 cross pins.

CCF
I don't recall every seeing any cast iron work but plenty of cast brass. All the Gillespies seemed very talented at forge work, I had to look at the lock side to see the seam where the buttplate was joined.

The copper thimbles are plain, no decoration.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2021, 09:03:53 PM »
What a great rifle.   Thank you for showing us this one Dennis.  I'll bet it has a lot of stories stored up inside.   God Bless,   Marc

Offline geologyjohn

• Starting Member
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2021, 08:17:05 PM »
John R. Gillespie (1811-1894). Buried in the “Old Union Cemetery” in Towns County, Ga.