Author Topic: Pill lock percussion long rifle  (Read 2824 times)

Offline shortbarrel

Pill lock percussion long rifle
« on: June 15, 2020, 12:48:29 AM »
Has anybody ever seen one or have one. I am quite sure that some were made.It was a small period between the flint lock and the percussion cap. Please don't put off topic info on this post. For those who might not have seen one. it is a side hammer lock where the hammer nose is blunt and barrel  has a drum with hole in in that fits the hammer nose. The pill is put in the drum hole.       

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Pill lock percussion long rifle
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 12:59:24 AM »
Yes, I have seen them. There were also patch locks and tube locks.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline OLUT

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 02:53:41 AM »
The most typical mule ear pill lock was patented in 1830 by Ephraim Gilbert of Rochester, NY. He sold the  right to make these locks to other NY State gunmakers . Several are illustrated in Swinney's " New York State Firearms Trade". Swinney also illustrates an original can of pill lock pellets with the note that the fulminate was rolled in bees wax to keep the pellet together and help prevent the pill from falling out of the gun's vent. The pill lock gun in my collection is a Billinghurst mule ear over under .

Offline Molly

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 03:21:50 PM »
Not only "mule ear"

So we know they were made.  Apparently not for long and also an idea that never became popular.  Common thought is they came between "flint" and "cap".  I do not think this one was made as a pill lock but rather a pill conversion of a flint lock.  Too bad IMO.  A long rifle originally made as a pill lock would have some appeal.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 03:33:50 PM by Molly »

Offline Frank Graves

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 09:04:32 PM »
Here is a William Gardner half stock Pill Lock rifle of the typical and unconverted to percussion configuration. 

This one is .31 caliber with a 36-3/8" barrel.  The barrel is marked beneath "P&S Remington" which as a company specifically operated only from 1843-45 thus dating the rifle.  The stock is of deluxe walnut.  It shows the highest degree of competence in a relatively plain but still deluxe configuration.

Also shown is a W. Billinghurst tin for the pills.

Offline gibster

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 09:21:45 PM »
While not a long rifle, here is a pill lock pistol in my collection that was made by J Wood in North Carolina.  He signed it on the barrel and both inside and outside of the lock plate.  I have no reason to think that this was made as anything other than a pill lock. 

Offline Molly

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 11:06:40 PM »
Beautiful rifle, VERY appealing.  Ugly as sin pistol :P

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 12:03:19 AM »
Thanks all for your good post. Keep them coming folks. regards Dick

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2020, 12:21:41 AM »
This pill lock rifle was made by William Lamb in Jamestown, N.C. 

It is the only pill lock rifle I have found in this state.

I believe this grand little rifle was made between 1830 and 1832.

Michael
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 12:44:30 AM »
Nice, very unique rifle.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2020, 01:58:26 AM »
  Thanks Mike, this ALR North Carolina pill lock is just what i was looking for. does not have drum. The maker off this beautiful rifle was ahead of the times.  Built during the flint to cap lock period i hope. I live close to and am in one of the school areas.                                                                         

Ofor

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 01:43:48 AM »
I’m looking for some help identifying a pill lock rifle. Bore measures .342”. Spring loaded patch box.
Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 03:58:32 AM »
I have seen one or two made by Mills in Ohio. They were auction guns and sold for a fair amount when they went up. Seems that there were more numerous than one would think.
Dick

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 06:54:30 AM »
Ofor - there appears to be a rifle by the same maker as your beautiful pill lock rifle that's going up at auction at Amoskeag, but with a standard lock. Take a look at this rifle and perhaps it will help you figure out your rifle.   https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Military-Artifacts/Firearms/Pennsylvania-Percussion-Fullstock-Sporting-Rifle/lotInformation/60232033#topoflot     

Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 07:54:25 PM by Tanselman »

Ofor

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 07:35:24 AM »
Thank you, the rifle at auction looks very similar. It looks to be your the same hand.
Thanks again
Curt