Author Topic: Another question on household ammonia  (Read 4206 times)

Offline gibster

Another question on household ammonia
« on: August 02, 2008, 10:36:34 PM »
I've read a couple of the threads here about ammonia and am a little confused.  Does ammonia help with the aging process of metal, or is it more for neutralizing any acids that may have been used in the process?  Thanks.
Gibster

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
Re: Another question on household ammonia
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 10:44:45 PM »
Gibs I think that the thread started about how to neutralize acid browning solutions...... however Ammonia ( house hold type) can be used to fume certain woods to make them darker as well as age brass ( be careful here)
Jim
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

40Haines

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 07:42:36 AM »
I have been trying to get with Pete Hyiat (sp), he has a finishing technique using Ammonia for Maple that is supposed to be the cats meow.

PETE are you out there ????????????????????/

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 09:08:04 PM »
Gibster, Ammonia or ammonia fumes work very well for aging brass... carefully....too much can effect the structural integrity of the brass.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline gibster

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 01:52:13 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.  How would you go about "fuming" the ammonia?  Boil it and suspend the parts in the steam?
Gibster

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 04:40:56 AM »
Ammonia will crack the $#*! out of any brass that has been formed or cold rolled. That is, any brass sheet or rod, formed thimbles, patch box lids & hinges, &c.
The 19th century British converted their .577 muzzle-loaders to breech loaders using a humungous brass case. Used them to enlighten the Indian subcontinent. Funny thing happened. Every monsoon season these cases cracked, I believe split down the neck.
Since it only happened in the monsoon season, they called it "season cracking".
Why?
During the rainy/monsoon season the ammunition has to be stored out ot the rain. They did not store it in the officers' quarters, they stored it in the horse barn.
Horses do not use urinals, they use the barn.
It is the fragrant ammonia compounds in the air that crack the brass. These days we call it "stress corrosion cracking"
For the same reasin, do not store your brass near the kitty litter.
Mice, likewise, are untidy little creatures and cause expensive loss of brass valves, etc.
There is ammonia in Brasso. Guess it doesn't hurt in the short time needed to clean your uniform buttons. But those who add a little Brasso when tumbling their brass become very unhappy at the results.
Don't use ammonia on brass.
Jim Kelly, 45 years a metallurgist   

don getz

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 03:43:28 PM »
Hi Jim, my old nemesis........I have been using ammonia to tarnish my brass parts for years, leave them in an enclosed
container with some ammonia, not in the stuff, but sealed in with the fumes.  I usually only leave them in overnight, or
about 8-9 hours, and have never had a problem.....really like the look of the tarnish it creates.   But, I sure wouldn't want
to put it on those barrels made of 12-L-14 steel, now that would scare the h___ out of me........Don

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 03:36:50 AM »
Don, were these brass castings, or formed brass sheet metal parts? Castings presumably dont have residual stress in them, as would a formed entry thimble.
Last gunmaker I knew who had a problem was aging a formed entry thimble in the ammonia fumes. Cracked badly. He then recalled that Kelly had said something about it. You knew him, lived in Birmingham, Mich, now retired back to Indiana, Muncie I believe.
Jim Kelly

don getz

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 03:34:24 PM »
Jim......I saw Jerry at the CLA show, must be 4 or 5 years ago...he looked good but I don't think he is doing any gun work.
Still playing with trains.   As for the brass parts, maybe I have been lucky but I have never had a problem.  I normally just
leave them in those fumes overnight.   Both castings and sheet type brass parts, no problems....yet......................Don