General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Small bore, something different

(1/4) > >>

chapmans:
  Last Fri. Larry and I went to the range, he worked on some loads, for his new .54, I was trying some new patch material in the .40 , another friend/shooter was there with this little rifle, it's a .22 cal English style with an original buttplate, steel gripcap, buffalo horn nosecap(he got the horn from Jack Haugh), false muzzle along with piston starter. He shoots .22 cal. bullets he casts himself and has .22 cal lead rb's for it. It is sort of a miniture long range rifle, I think 100 yds would be long range for this, although they do shoot 200 yds at Etna Green with .22 cartridge so I guess you could try it. The bullets are in the 45gr to 55gr size.

The rifle was built by Don Kammerer probably in the 1980's.
  Regards Steve C.

Colonial Riflesmith:
Do you know what load he uses in the .22?

northmn:
The bullet looks a lot like a bullet I have used in centerfire 22's at about 53 grains.  A Lyman mold.  If you think about it, A rifle like that could be a lot of fun as 1000 yard BPC ranges or even the 500 yard silouhette ranges cannot be found everywhere, especially in my area where logging is a major industry.  Cost of ammo would not break you either.  Good idea, needs more of a following.  Is it a centerfire barrel at 1-14 or 1-12 or rimfire at 1-16 twist?

DP

Roger Fisher:
I hope ol Daryl sees this one.   :D ;D ::)

chapmans:
  Colonial Riflesmith,
    I think he was shooting/ trying 15gr and 20gr loads of fffg.
  Steve

DP,
   The barrel is a Douglas .22 centerfire but I'm not sure of the twist, it seems like he mentioned 1-14 maybe Larry will remember, then maybe not! He was using a cork wad between the powder and bullet, he wasn't having great sucess that day but I remember years ago (15 or so) he was shooting it at Friendship off the bench at 100yds and it was working pretty good then.
  Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version