Author Topic: Solder  (Read 1181 times)

Offline elk killer

Solder
« on: June 15, 2020, 12:58:56 PM »
Whats the best big box store flux for 50/50 solder, for sights and under rib on a round barrel?
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Pukka Bundook

Re: Solder
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 03:14:08 PM »
"Jiffy" brand has always worked for me, but don't know how available down there,   E-K.
It's a grease type and comes in a tub that last decades.

Offline alacran

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 03:38:03 PM »
Home depot sells a soldering paste that comes in a tube. It is called " Solder It". Easiest way to do what you are asking about.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 04:18:09 PM »
Use a good acid flux.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 05:35:00 PM »
Oatey All Purpose Soldering Paste Flux

Also, when soldering sights, outline them with a Magic Marker.  It'll keep the solder from running over and speed cleanup.  Graphite pencil works too.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 06:57:54 PM »
"Best" is subjective.  Most soft solder will work OK. 

I use rosin core electronics solder.  I tin the joint on both sides with plumbers acid flux paste and steel wool.  I then clean off the flux, it is very corrosive.  I then coat the joint with liquid rosin flux.   Then jig it.  Then heat to melt the solder. 

I infer that if you use only acid flux paste that the joint will eventually rust and the joint will fail. 

I am taking a que from how shotgun barrels and ribs are soldered.  I solder all of my under ribs this way and have never has one loosen over time or fail the ring test after soldering.   

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 06:58:00 PM »
Home depot sells a soldering paste that comes in a tube. It is called " Solder It". Easiest way to do what you are asking about.

I like the "Solder It" stuff too.