Author Topic: Help with kentucky style rifle identification  (Read 2178 times)

Heartman3

Help with kentucky style rifle identification
« on: June 16, 2020, 04:56:43 AM »
I am a new forum member. I purchased a "relic" rifle in an auction and am planning on restoring it. I have hunted with muzzleloaders for 30+ years, but am new to the flintlock world. I would like any help I can get as to the style (school?), period this rifle was made in, any guesses as to the builder, and any advice on a HC replacement lock to put in it. The rifle is 51" overall, with a .40 caliber 35" barrel. The patchbox is interesting in that it has a federal shield and 5 arrows engraved in it (possible revolutionary/mexican war symbols?). There is both a buttstock and a forestock moulding cut in on each side. There is a hole for a vent pick drilled under the cheekpiece. The ramrod pipes are plain and formed from sheet brass. The barrel has a faint signature on the top flat. It appears to be a first initial "M" and a last name starting with possibly a "B" written in script. I included a flash photo and a photo without flash. the photo without flash shows some inscription that is invisible to the naked eye,

« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 05:09:15 AM by Heartman3 »

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
Re: Help with kentucky style rifle identification
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 05:02:28 AM »
Heartman3--Welcome to the forum.

Do you have any pictures you could post?
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 03:17:42 PM »
At first glance it strikes me as a NC gun. The patch box is not original with the gun, much later and poorly done.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Heartman3

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 06:33:35 PM »
So Mike, do you believe this is a flintlock to percussion conversion? Any guess as to what time period it was made? Thanks for your help. Your "Lion and the Lamb" rifle is absolutely superb!

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 06:43:53 PM »
The out of focus pic does seem to show a name. A good, well focused, picture might well tell you who made it.
John Robbins

Heartman3

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 06:47:45 PM »
I will give it another try. Thanks JTR.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 07:24:02 PM »
So Mike, do you believe this is a flintlock to percussion conversion? Any guess as to what time period it was made? Thanks for your help. Your "Lion and the Lamb" rifle is absolutely superb!
The gun  looks flinty to me, look for a notch in the wood were a flint cock would rest. Post 1800.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 07:25:14 PM »
The barrel has been shortened probably a foot give or take.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2020, 10:05:10 PM »
The rifle has some characteristics of Tennessee rifles made around the Nashville area. Note the front nose of side facings are slightly pointed, the toe is extended, reverse curl rear spur, and the lower butt molding that terminates at the guard's rear spur rather than running farther up into the wrist. Plus most rifles out there used good curly maple rather than walnut. It would be helpful to have better pictures of the tang and the rear pipe.

Shelby Gallien

Heartman3

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 10:08:23 PM »
I will try to get those photos tonight. Thanks Shelby, looks like you know your Tennessee rifles!

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2020, 11:21:17 PM »
I don't know as I'd put too much faith in the shape of the guard.  It doesn't look original to me. 

That patchbox looks jarringly out of place.  Someone also refinished the wood at some point. 

At some point I imagine it was a fine looking gun. It does strike me as having overall lines of an NC gun. 

God Bless,   Marc

Heartman3

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2020, 11:24:33 PM »
Thanks Marc! Here's some more photos........

« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 04:44:28 AM by Heartman3 »