Author Topic: flat horn with outside spring  (Read 2657 times)

Offline jdm

• member 2
flat horn with outside spring
« on: June 16, 2020, 11:35:44 PM »
I posted this several years ago. It didn't make the move to the Antique Accoutrements section. I re posted it for those who may have missed it. I hope you all don't mind.  Jim

JIM

Offline PIKELAKE

Re: flat horn with outside spring
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 12:43:03 AM »
Boy... if that isn't slick. I would love one of those. JZ
JOHN ZUREKI

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 01:06:18 AM »
 Ingenious.

Tim C.

Online Nordnecker

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 02:37:09 PM »
I remember seeing that, but had forgotten all about it. Thanks for posting it again. Question- the metal piece on the base plug- Does that pivot sideways so you can fill the horn?
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 10:49:10 PM »
Nordnecker , The horn has to be filled at the spout end. The piece of metal on the base plug is attached with a screw. The screw looks to me to be a later addition to keep it secure. The head is in bad shape so removal would be some what of a challenge. The piece on the butt plug was laying loose you might think it's a flint striker or small scraper. There must have been a different attachment for easy removal . A fire striker on the end of a powder horn  sounds like it might get you in the Darwin awards.
JIM

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 01:03:32 AM »
What are the general impressions...American or possibly European?

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 04:18:13 AM »
Jim, that is one fine little horn. It has a very elegant appearance and the iron has been well done. In addition it has unique features we usually don't see on it. Never saw one like it before. In some ways it looks like it has European attributes going back to wheel lock horns. Whatever, it's a dandy; thank you for showing it around here.
Dick

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 12:58:38 PM »
Thank you for bringing that post back to the Antique Accoutrements section. This horn just fascinates me. I keep coming back and looking at it. VERY nicely done. A real showpiece of someone's ability to create an item to accomplish in the most complex manner possible, the simple task of getting powder out of a horn.
I love it..!
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 07:19:46 PM »
What do you think the "rudder" is for?

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 09:44:54 PM »
Thank's for the comments. The first time I saw this I was so intrigued by the iron work I bought it. Reminded me of the nice iron work on southern guns.  As Don Steele says the over kill on the spout  mechanism is fascinating. All the time it took to figure it out. When all you had to do was cut a stick down and put it in the hole. It makes  an everyday  utilitarian item  much more  interesting.
Ive gone back and forth on where this might of been made although I have no idea  , it does have a European feel.

WKevinD I think that's  for a repair on the tip.
JIM

Offline j. pease

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2020, 03:34:34 PM »
I have a similar horn. The base is burl. I think it is European One collector thought it was Scottish. I was also fascinated by the iron work

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2020, 09:51:21 PM »
That looks like a Tim Crosby project all over. 

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2020, 10:31:18 PM »
 I saw this horn, or its twin sister years ago at a rendezvous. It didn’t have the blade attached then, but may have had the screw hole.
At the time there was lots of discussion about if it was antique, or aged modern, the general consensus was that it was modern. The reasoning had a lot to do with its numerous opportunities to leak powder, and it relatively complicated mechanism. I know I’d be afraid to pack it around in my pocket, and then shoot a flintlock.

Hungry Horse

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2020, 10:47:19 PM »
Folk Art at its finest!!

Cory Joe Stewart

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2020, 02:49:57 AM »
jpease, Thank you for posting the picture of your horn. That makes  the third one of this type I've  seen Possibly the same maker or region ????

Hungry Horse , I have owned this horn for twenty or twenty five years. It came from a collector in Iowa  mid to late ninety's when I got it. I don't know about the horn you saw but this one I believe  is old and the metal work is old also.  There are no holes . The only way I could see it leaking powder is from the spout end. The metal piece that goes back and forth over the spout is as tight as any old military type  horn I've  seen.  There is a small hole on the side towards but of the horn . It is not very deep and when viewed with a glass is full of dirt . Thanks everyone for there input.
JIM

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2020, 03:31:04 PM »
Great looking flask horns Guys Thanks for posting the pics..

They all seem too have a Southern Appalachian feel too me.

A lot of those folks had plenty time on their hands during the Winter months, providing you’ve made the proper provisions..
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2020, 06:20:25 PM »
Doesn't matter to the 'ol "Muskrat" where they were made I absolutely love both of them and would be proud to carry them. Thank you so much for posting them.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline msellers

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2020, 07:40:31 PM »
Here is another similar one that an acquaintance collected tears ago. He believes it to be an original, but can't recall the details he shared about it.

Offline Herman

• Starting Member
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2020, 08:36:13 PM »
Horns like that was very common in Norway, and I believe it started out as a regional thing that quickly got popular in the rest of the country. Below are some horns that are all Norwegian.
Herman

« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 09:44:00 PM by Herman »

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2020, 07:28:36 PM »
msellers & Herman ,  Thank you for adding these pictures.

Herman thank you for this information on Norway. Those decorated horns wonderful.
JIM

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2020, 06:47:35 PM »
Great horns.  Thanks for sharing them. 
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.