Author Topic: Lehigh rifles on display at Dixon's last weekend  (Read 5284 times)

Offline Swampwalker

Lehigh rifles on display at Dixon's last weekend
« on: July 28, 2009, 09:18:37 PM »
I was very interested in the nice collection of Lehigh rifles on display in the judging booth at Dixon's last weekend.  There were several rifles there that I had not seen before.  Where were these from, and does anybody know if it's possible to get some pictures of these rifles?

Dave Balsley

Offline Eric Fleisher

• E. Fleisher Shot Pouches
Re: Lehigh rifles on display at Dixon's last weekend
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 02:10:27 AM »
I posted some photos of these guns on this thread.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=5799.0

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 04:56:37 PM »
Thanks Eric, I hadn't seen those. 
Anybody know who these guns belong to so that some higher resolution photos could possibly be obtained?

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 05:31:37 PM »
Swampwalker
The display was compliments of the Jacobsburg Historical society.http://www.jacobsburg.org/jacobsburg_home.html.I would start there.

As a side note it is improper to post the owners names of originals on an open forum.Some get more than a little upset when that happens.

Regards
Mitch

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 05:50:57 PM »
Just to reiterate what Tallbear said.  We are blessed to have so many owners of original rifles willing to share pictures that sometimes we take for granted the privacy issue.  Some don't mind but for others it is a serious concern.  That's why all the Library gun owners are anonymous.  
Ken
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 05:53:14 PM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 10:41:09 PM »
Understood.  Thanks for the information.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 11:50:06 PM »
What was interesting to me, was the scallop of the cheek pieces that really don't show in any of the pic's.  I think it's what makes these more shootable.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 05:08:59 AM »
I've got some decent pictures of one rifle - signed John Moll - on my site at:

http://web.mac.com/kettenburgs/iWeb/Site%202/Part%206.html

The owner and I believe it to be John/Johannes Moll Sr. although I see for the purposes of the display they had it attributed to John Moll Jr. or John II.  Maybe to err on the safe side - John Sr. and John Jr. had almost identical signatures.  This is something of a hotly-debated topic.  I do not tend to early-date rifles and I think I'm pretty conservative in my dating and attributions, but based upon all that I have seen I firmly believe it to be a ca. 1785-1790 John Sr., in other words made not long before he died.  It is a VERY accomplished piece, absolutely excellent carving.  There has been a fairly good degree of restoration and addition but the carving from the lock back is all original.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 05:39:30 AM »
EK,

Beautiful gun.  Maybe this is the one my rifle is being styled after??  There's just something magical about these guns to me.  Elegant, sleek, just plain different than the standard fare.  I so envy you guys that are from that area, and have the privilege of seeing, and handling such amazing pieces.

In His grip,

Dane

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 05:32:52 PM »
Thanks for posting that Eric - that's an amazing rifle.  I've looked at your web site before, and want to say that you've done those that appreciate Lehigh/Berks Co. rifles a tremendous service by doing this research and compiling the information and photos of these rifles.  Thanks!

jwh1947

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 10:46:33 PM »
The rifles that normally make up Dixon's displays are, believe it or not, privately owned in some of the finer collections (local) or they could be inventory of Jacobsburg Museum of the Longrifle, or both.  Collectors of such specimens frequently wish to remain anoymous, primarily for security purposes.  If I were one of you seeking photos and history, I'd start with the fine people at Jacobsburg Plantation.  They are open weekends during the summer/fall and they are knowledgeable and hospitable.  If you want info on a particular rifle, these experts should be able to help you.   JWH