Author Topic: Alexander Dalby from Western Pa.  (Read 1342 times)

Offline flintlock hunter

Alexander Dalby from Western Pa.
« on: June 19, 2020, 06:06:06 PM »
This 30 cal. rifle came out of an elderly lady's attic here in town a few years ago. It an unsigned  half stock, A high grade Parker and 13 other guns! They were taken out and given to the boy next door for taking care of her yard that summer. The father didn't want this one the half stock or the Parker to save for his son when he got older so he let me have them. This rifle was built 7 miles from were I live. It still has the old linen patches in the cap box and what I believe is the original ramrod with its worm. 

upload foto online

upload free photo

Barry

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: Alexander Dalby from Western Pa.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 06:22:07 PM »
What a dandy. The man that carried that carried it with a bit of panache I bet. Thanks for sharing.

dogbest

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 06:25:46 PM »
Wow, what a nice gun!

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 07:04:19 PM »
Kind of people I like to mow for, LOL

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 07:19:29 PM »
I love it.  Creative well executed inlays.  The condition is outstanding.  Where did Dalby work? I think you're right about the ramrod and worm being original.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline flintlock hunter

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 07:51:53 PM »
Yes the condition is outstanding for its age. The Dalby brothers worked in Washington county in and around Fredericktown and Millsboro Pa. A friend of mine has an Enoch Dalby that has been in his family since it was built. The border around the initials and the D are identical. Maybe one brother did all the engraving.
Barry

Offline flintlock hunter

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 10:33:13 PM »
Kind of people I like to mow for, LOL                                                                                                                                                     Me to, all I ever got was blisters and a thank you. :-\
Barry