Author Topic: Wallace Gusler's latest rifle  (Read 10605 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Wallace Gusler's latest rifle
« on: June 20, 2020, 03:59:14 AM »
I am posting these for Wallace Gusler, he said he didn't want folks to think he had quit building :) I am sure Wallace will be along to answer any questions you might have. That engraving on the patch box has first/last name of the owner on it.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Wallace Gusler's latest rifle
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 04:08:24 AM »
He hasn’t lost his edge.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 04:09:35 AM »
It,s easy to see why he is considered a master.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 04:16:02 AM »
Wow. Looking at that carving is like watching 4k video. Crisp. Nothing not to like about that..... My wife likes that same flat purple toenail polish....

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 04:32:09 AM »
Is this a beeswax finish?  Or pine pitch or some other?  I've always been fascinated with the notion of it, but I still have a hard time believing it is durable at all.  I do like the unstained golden brown look.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline vanu

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 04:59:07 AM »
The finish is asphaltum and raw* linseed oil. Three or four additional applications over a year or so, and you get a wonderful nut-brown translucent finish that is completely waterproof. This is a great rifle in the early (1770's) style coming out of Virginia; Huffman/Davidson and Adam Haymaker of note.

I'm sure Wallace will happily address any questions that are posted.

*Boiled linseed oil hardens and you can only apply one coat.

Bruce

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 05:57:46 AM »
Love the carving.  So many great little subtle details... and the finish accentuates it so well. 
Nifty side plate also.

Has a very solid look despite its wonderful decoration.

Jeff
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 06:34:53 AM by J. Talbert »
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 07:37:32 AM »
Absolutely a joy to look at.  Thanks Wallace for posting your rifle here.  My question has to do with the barrel and tang finish...charcoal blued?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2020, 09:10:02 AM »
Absolutely gorgeous!!! Can we see it when it's finished?
Dick

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2020, 10:32:39 AM »
Wow, that's a level I don't think I'll ever come close to.

Best regards
Rolf

Offline elk killer

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2020, 01:55:25 PM »
Any chance of seeing the lock?
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2020, 02:39:56 PM »
Is that a brass box spring or is just a trick of light and reflection?
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2020, 03:10:01 PM »
Is that a brass box spring or is just a trick of light and reflection?

Eric,
Yes its brass and so is the release spring. I noticed it and asked Wallace about it.  He said brass springs were sometimes used in early guns and would outlast steel. Hopefully he will answer questions about their use.

Also ask him about the off center slots on patch box screws :)
Dennis
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 03:13:15 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2020, 03:40:14 PM »
I wasn't sure if it was brass or the lighting.  No reason work-hardened brass wouldn't work well, especially given the limited movement   and limited pressure of this particular spring type.  I've just never seen one in an old gun although I have seen one here and there in old clocks.  Might make for an interesting wood box catch, too, which needs even less movement and tension.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline alacran

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2020, 03:46:21 PM »
I met Mr Gusler at Martin's Station back in 2013. I don't remember if it was that year or the next that he showed a rifle he had finished exactly as the one he posts here. I had a long conversation with him.  He said the owner of the rifle insisted on taking it hunting, before he had applied all necessary coats of linseed oil, and was in the process of applying more. The asphaltum accentuates the carving. It is  joy to behold a rifle made by Mr Gusler. Knowing that it is a rifle made totally as it would have been made in the 18th century.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2020, 03:53:05 PM »
I like everything about it. The color really helps the carving come through. I like his choice in toe nail polish too, those darker colors are really trendy. I'm wonder about he name contained on the box....Knuckles McKey?...Keystytone Boxman ?.....Maybe not. ???    This may be my favorite Gusler gun, very warm yet the carving is incredibly crisp and well designed.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2020, 04:54:05 PM »
I have been a fan of Wallace’s work for a long time and it’s great to see another rifle by him. He is a truly dedicated and skilled craftsman. Thanks for sharing this great rifle.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2020, 04:59:35 PM »
LOL, Mike, thought that was Dennis's foot till I read he was just passing the picture along.Great rifle too.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2020, 05:20:27 PM »
Dennis.   Thanks for posting this.  It is always a pleasure to look at Wallace's work.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2020, 08:36:39 PM »
I like everything about it. The color really helps the carving come through. I like his choice in toe nail polish too, those darker colors are really trendy. I'm wonder about he name contained on the box....Knuckles McKey?...Keystytone Boxman ?.....Maybe not. ???    This may be my favorite Gusler gun, very warm yet the carving is incredibly crisp and well designed.
I am sure that's Liza's toenail polish, she took the photos.
Dennis

Offline Not English

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2020, 09:29:57 PM »
What a joy to look at! I love the small details such as the hexagonal patch box latch with the moldings at the base. I think I will be looking into asphaltum and oil and see what it does.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2020, 12:22:10 AM »
"Asphaltum" is somewhat of a catch-all term, especially nowadays.  Historically it was generally referring to a fossilized resin, not a fresh or sticky tree resin.  For those who appreciate this type of finish or coloring, you can obtain a darker color if you dissolve the resin into heated turpentine and use that as a 'stain' followed by either oil or - as Wallace uses here - resin dissolved in oil.  Red maple in particular, due to the easier penetration of the the wood, can yield very dark almost black stripes with the resin in turpentine as it will penetrate more deeply into the wood than when oil is used as a vehicle.

The HUGE benefit of this type of finishing is no grain raising whatsoever, always a detriment to using aqua fortis.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2020, 12:55:21 AM »
  Thanks Dennis for posting for Wallace...He truly is a Master .
   Oldtravler

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2020, 02:00:56 AM »
Great gun Wallace.I got to see this rifle unfinished at Mels Show this spring.There is so much going on with this gun particularly with the carving,much that doesn't show in these pictures.I hope to get to see it in person again now that it's finished.

Mitch
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 02:05:01 AM by tallbear »

Offline Not English

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2020, 02:05:15 AM »
Eric, Thanks for the info about asphaltum. I appreciate the insights.