Author Topic: Finish drying question  (Read 1023 times)

Offline kswan

• Starting Member
Finish drying question
« on: June 23, 2020, 07:41:24 PM »
Hello all.
I am having a problem with drying finish. It's Chamber finish and In the past it has worked great for me but this time I feel I should have let it dry more. I'm finding that the finish is very easily scratched. So, I've been looking at similar posts and one member mentioned to use fine steel wool and take the finish down to a point where it can dry and build up from there. Just wondering if this might work ?

Thanks for reading.
Kelvin

Offline Daryl

Re: Finish drying question
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 07:55:11 PM »
You could easily use 1500 grit wet/dry paper and take it down to the wood's surface- then give it 2 days to harden, then re-finish it.
Give it 2 days between thin rubbed-on coats and it should be good.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 10:05:00 PM »
You might also try leaving it in direct sun light , this seems to help some of the guys "cure" the finish better and faster. Just a thought.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 12:48:35 AM »
You’ve probably put it on too heavy.  Each coat should be flooded on, allowed to sit a few minutes, then wiped off.  It should dry in about 4 hours.  I’ve been using it for 15+ years, and never had any problem drying.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline kswan

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 03:24:34 PM »
Thanks very much for the advice. I've now got it sanded down to the stain and sun drying for a few days. I  wanted to refinish from bare wood but seems suppliers can't send liquids,stain and stock finish across the border anymore.