General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

200 Yard ALR - Score

(1/4) > >>

Candle Snuffer:
I got to the Range this morning and shot my 200 Yard ALR target.  5 shots Offhand, and the other 5 shots I shot from the kneeling position.  Here's my results;

Offhand - 6 points
Kneeling - 8 points
Total - 14 points

I hit the target 9 out of 10 times but the far right ball hole is outside the "half or better" scoring line - so it gets a zero, and rightly so.

I used my .45 caliber caplock Dickert Rifle with fixed sights.  My load was; .445 Hornady RB, .018 spit patch, 65 grains 3fg Goex.  I fought an 11:00 o'clock - 7 to 10 MPH headwind this morning while shooting.  I think a heavier ball (.50 cal and up) would probably be better suited for this type of shooting.

Here are some pictures.  My target is the little square of white - down range on the left;

My target after 10 shots.  I missed a shot completely.  The ball hole on the center right side of the target went for no score;

Steamingspud:
That is an AWESOME range! I mean, nothing so special shooting wise, but with the castle looking building in the background and the hedge grows, wow. I'd love to just see a bunch of cool ranges around the world like that. Where is that range mate?

J.D.:

--- Quote from: Steamingspud on August 13, 2009, 02:44:21 AM ---That is an AWESOME range! I mean, nothing so special shooting wise, but with the castle looking building in the background and the hedge grows, wow. I'd love to just see a bunch of cool ranges around the world like that. Where is that range mate?

--- End quote ---

Yeah, that "castle" looks like some of the rock formations along the upper Missouri River.  Beautiful country, for sure.

Jump in there and shoot the 200 yard match, 'spud. IMHO, my 200 yard off hand target won't be any better than Candlesnuffer's.  The only way to find out how good any of us are is to drag out the flintgun shoot a coupla targets.  ;D

God bless

Candle Snuffer:
Our Range is located just west - outside of Crawford, Nebraska.  It is; Northwest Nebraska Shooter's Association (Home of the White River Brigade).

The castle looking Butte is called Lover's Leap, located in the Pine Ridge area that stretches  quite a ways.  It was once consider part of the Black Hills, internetting it's way through NE Wyoming and up into the Black Hills of South Dakota.  It also stretches south & east through Chadron, Nebraska (home of the annual July Fur Trade Days & the Museum of the Fur Trade).

There are also 3 other Ranges located here.  The Trap Range is to the south, and left of this 300 yard Range pictured above is a 130 yard Range (where the WRB muzzle loading group normally shoots), and a 50 Yard Pistol Range left of that one.

In all, we have 37 acres to play on, mostly grass lands.  The berms are all man made.  About 20 - 30  feet to the right of me there is 5 shooting benches, 4 of which are under cover.  We also have a small club house behind me.  This whole area use to be the city's golf course, but they built a new one and allowed Northwest Nebraska Shooter's to move into the old one here.

You can't see it in the picture above, but out beyond the tree to the left we have what we call "Gong Alley" that stretches out to 300 yards at a slight angle.  We have NRA metal silhouettes hung up down that alley; Chicken, Pig, Turkey, & Ram.

The fact is that our White River Brigade uses this Range way more then anyother's (membership) does.  About the only time it is used heavily by modern firearm shooters is when big game hunting season's are about to start.  Otherwise it's 75% muzzleloading, 10% Rimfire, 10% High Power Rifle, and about 5% Trap & Handgun.

Our muzzleloading group pretty much has the run of the entire facility year round. :)

Dphariss:

--- Quote from: Candle Snuffer on August 12, 2009, 07:38:57 PM ---I got to the Range this morning and shot my 200 Yard ALR target.  5 shots Offhand, and the other 5 shots I shot from the kneeling position.  Here's my results;

Offhand - 6 points
Kneeling - 8 points
Total - 14 points

I hit the target 9 out of 10 times but the far right ball hole is outside the "half or better" scoring line - so it gets a zero, and rightly so.

I used my .45 caliber caplock Dickert Rifle with fixed sights.  My load was; .445 Hornady RB, .018 spit patch, 65 grains 3fg Goex.  I fought an 11:00 o'clock - 7 to 10 MPH headwind this morning while shooting.  I think a heavier ball (.50 cal and up) would probably be better suited for this type of shooting.

Here are some pictures.  My target is the little square of white - down range on the left;

My target after 10 shots.  I missed a shot completely.  The ball hole on the center right side of the target went for no score;

--- End quote ---

Pretty darned good in the wind, no matter what direction its from. Wind just kills my 54 at 200. A 10 mph head wind needs allowance for with BPCRs as well. When I try this seriously I try to get shooting by the time the light is good in the morning.
You need some of the wind indicators used by schuetzen shooters. I should make some. I don't have any either ;D.
I have also found that loading errors and slight amounts of fouling on the lands really hurt at 200.
At 100 it does not seem to rear its ugly head but at 200 every little thing hurts.

Dan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version