Author Topic: Mule ear locks  (Read 3502 times)

Offline Metalshaper

Mule ear locks
« on: June 24, 2020, 05:03:27 PM »
For Bruce and the gang... ;)

These are originals, the one with the outside mainspring a builder shared with me.. He had acquired it but I don't remember from where or who exactly it was..
this was years ago.

The double/single, were originals that came up on ebay probably 20 yrs ago.. I missed out on getting them but the guy selling them sent me this pic as a consolation prize..

Respect Always
 Metalshaper/Jonathan
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 09:48:50 PM by Metalshaper »

Offline Metalshaper

Re: Mule ear locks
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 05:15:37 PM »

These are some kit locks,, I have been looking for ones like these but have yet to find them anywhere.. ???

the brass ones, were I believe shared with me from one of the guys running around with Steve Bookout??

the steel version, my friend Pat Donahue had been working on..  he was finishing it and getting it ready for another guy to build a rifle around.. I don't remember seeing that it had a fly on the tumbler? but looking at the brass one and finding the picture of Pat's work ( with a set trigger near it ) he may have been mod'n it up for them.

Pat, Marlow Westerbeck and I had put on gun/blacksmithing displays at various summer and fall events there for a while. all three are gun bilders and Pat and I do some 'smithing' at the forge.
Pat and Marlow have never met a stranger  ;) and I usually manned the forge, while they showed our rifles and explained Pat's demo sized rifling bench..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 09:49:10 PM by Metalshaper »

Offline BruceH

Re: Muley locks
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 09:37:07 PM »
Thanks Johnathan.  It is always good to see the different ideas for the internals - or externals in some cases.  I will be disassembling one of these new(old) locks in a day or so and I will post pictures here for you and the others to see/share.  We need more options for buying these today.  One vendor is not enough.  I wish I had some type of machinist background as I would jump all over it.

May I suggest changing your title from Muley to Mule to make it searchable in the future???

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 09:53:33 PM »
Bruce,

Modified it to Mule ear locks..  I've toyed with the idea of making Mule ear locks.. as I'm getn ready to retire and would like something interesting to do
so my wife won't think I'm withering away  :o   I have the Medberry design and my own version of the outside mainspring.. and there is always a back action
and two types of doubles to make..  Where to start??

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline OLUT

Re: Muley locks
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 09:55:51 PM »
Metalshaper, you show some interesting variations of original mule ear locks! The one with the external mainspring is similar to the Joseph Medbury patent of 1826 ( but I think the hammers are different if I remember right). The double lock used with over under guns is of interest to me personally as they are what I collect ..here's a right hand and a left hand version made by Henry Eldredge. The single lock has a flat end to the hammer ( was this from from a pill lock version, or ??? ). Lots of interesting variability in the designs ....

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 10:00:00 PM »

Three of mine, the two are still unfinished :-[

Respect Always
metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline msellers

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 10:03:17 PM »
Here is one that I stumbled upon, that I want to try and replicate for a build.
Mike

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 10:05:49 PM »
Bruce,

I'm not sure about the solid hammer? I've run across some Mule ear locks that have a flat face and were cap guns.. a few pill lock varieties that had a 'spur'? of sorts to strike the pill..
I think it may have been a case of what was available to the builder at the time? and what they were most familiar with.

Me personally, I like a cup to surround the cap when it fires..  that helps to try and contain any fragments that might wanna get away?

Respects Always
Jonathan

Offline Bsharp

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 10:37:18 PM »
Get Close and Wack'em Hard!

Offline BruceH

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2020, 11:05:55 PM »
Johnathan, I must have missed something.  Mine do not have a solid hammer???  I will try to get pictures up in the morning.

I sure do wish you would start building/selling some.  In the picture you show with the three of which one is a back action, either of the other two would be nice for my builds and I would be an instant customer.

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2020, 11:36:01 PM »
Bruce,

My bad.. in the picture of the double muley and single hammer muley I posted earlier.. ( the ones that were on Ebay years ago) the single hammer version has a solid hammer nose. These I have seen used with a 'pill' and also with the conventional cap ignition.  that's all I was referring to.. a few old timey locks didn't even appear to have a normal hammer cup/face? I think they were made and placed onto some very slim looking rifles and just fired the cap between the nipple and the flat inner face of the hammer?? I assume there were many variations of the same theme!

B#,
thanks, very familiar with the Storey patent. Have looked at it for years  8) I just like to have a half position on most of mine?

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline BruceH

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2020, 12:12:38 AM »
JFI, I spoke with Bernie @ Pioneerarms yesterday.  He owns the Dale Storey patent and has a few parts for that lock.  He may show up and see this post and add more.

Offline Bsharp

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2020, 12:19:03 AM »

I like the single hammer with the "waffler".

It looks like it flips from top to bottom.

Offline BruceH

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2020, 01:12:01 AM »
Here are the pictures of the new/old locks that I was able to find unused.  I don't know who made them but they are machined beautifully and have a tight fit.

Offline Bsharp

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2020, 02:06:55 AM »
BruceH, Thanks for taking the time and pictures!

Offline snapper

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2020, 02:43:45 AM »
Metalshaper, I think you GOT to get those guns done while we are still young enough to shoot them!  Quit chasing your wife around the house and get to work!

When my therapist asked me what gives me stress, I did mention your un-built rifles.  Jim Beam Black is a very cheap therapist.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline satwel

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2020, 03:23:56 AM »
Metalshaper,
If you are considering making mule ear locks, here is a design you may want to consider. I bought this lock from a fellow shooter at the New Hampshire NMLRA territorial matches probably ten years ago. He won it at a blanket shoot and knew nothing of its origins or who made it. I was going to build a rifle around it, but I used the L& R mule ear instead because it has a half cock notch. This lock has no half cock notch.

Since you're a fan of mule ears I thought you might like to see it.

If anyone can ID this lock, I'd love to hear from you. I've never seen another like it.

Offline Bsharp

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2020, 05:05:02 AM »
How about using the coil spring set up of this underhammer in a Mule Ear?

http://www.thegunworks.com/custprodgun.cfm?ProductID=1041&do=detail&Cat2Option=yes

I don't have room to use a forward mounted spring and I like coil springs.

satwel, I like the sear cut on the underside of the hammer!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 05:08:16 AM by Bsharp »

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2020, 03:08:03 PM »
Here is one that I have. I was told when I purchased it that it was made by William Buchle. Not sure if he might have been producing these for sale in the 60's, it's not marked so don't know.

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2020, 03:35:42 PM »
Satwel and 44 Henry,

Thanks for adding into the post and showing some very nice locks!!! could I trouble each of you to measure the length and width of the lock plates??? Please and Thank You
gives me an idea of the size and I can work out the sizes of the other parts as needed..

Snapper,
Lynn Marie appreciates your help! ;)

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline BruceH

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2020, 03:07:29 AM »
Johnathan, those that I show are 4 3/8" x 15/16".

Bruce

Offline satwel

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2020, 06:13:16 PM »
Jonathan,
The mule ear lock I posted is 5" long x 15/16" high.

Cheers

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2020, 03:26:33 PM »
Hey Guys,

just thought I'd add the measurements of my two locks.. The Medberry is 4.75"L X 7/8ths    the one with the outside mainspring is just about 5"L x 1"
So they are in the relative ballpark.. have a couple of gunstocks that these would go into fairly nicely..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 05:08:34 PM by Metalshaper »

Offline BruceH

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2020, 06:15:55 PM »
If you have any too large, too small or even just right, you can send them to me and I will make sure they get into some wood.   ;D

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2020, 07:06:43 PM »
If you have any too large, too small or even just right, you can send them to me and I will make sure they get into some wood.   ;D

That's what I like about this crew... ALWAYS HELPFUL!! ;D

Respect Always
Jonathan