Author Topic: Symbols on Longrifles  (Read 1746 times)

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
Symbols on Longrifles
« on: June 24, 2020, 08:43:04 PM »
I am now hard at work on research and photography for my seventh and last book on the Davidson School of gunsmiths here in North Carolina.  This was a group of 20 gunsmiths who lived only 10 miles or so from Old Salem, but were not Moravian.  Most were Reformed Lutherans, Primitive Baptist, and a few were Methodist.  For the most part they copied the stock architecture from Salem.  They used eagle and distelfink patchbox finials (like Salem), and used the same fore-stock molding as Salem.  They used a different barrel tang, and their triggers used a different construction.

The Davidson School used several symbols on their Longrifles that are not seen on rifles from Salem, Rowan (the county to their west), or Guilford (the county to their east).

This first photo is of a tree and is found on the cheek rest of the Solomon Farrington rifle.

This is a woman on the cheek rest of a Henry Ledford rifle.

Do these have some religious meaning?

Many Davidson longrifle with eagle patchbox finials have a symbol balanced on the eagles head.  What is it?  In some cases it looks to be a feather, in other cases in reminds me of a cockade on a militia hat.  What do you think?

upload pic

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Michael
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: Symbols on Longrifles
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 11:36:07 PM »
The woman is covered, or under the protection of The Almighty. 

The relief carved eagle on that rifle is wonderful.

Thanks for sharing.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 04:17:16 AM »
Mike,

The woman might signify Prudence. I’ve noticed a significant amount of Masonic symbolism on the Carolina rifles. Prudence is significant in the craft - it’s a possibility. I’ve been enjoying your posts - thanks for the pics.

Buck

Offline Collector

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 05:18:46 AM »
As Buck pointed out, a lot of Free Mason history originating in Davidson Cnty. and throughout NC, dating well back into the colonial period. 

If you examine the negative spaces created in some of the Free Mason symbols and art, it does resemble (somewhat) the shape taken in some of these inlays.  Possibly hidden intentionally and designed to be recognized only by the initiated, or to be used only by the initiated.  The fourth photo down with the 'curved -V' coming off of a point, might be symbolic of a opening book, a very common Free Mason symbol, as might be a 'straight-sided V, as well.  Symbols of rank, or lodge office, or combinations of both, added as well?  Owner, or family history may provide a clue to interpretations. 

Or, it's just regional art, like the rifle itself, that fortunately has survived.

Thanks and Good luck!

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 03:50:17 PM »
My first thought was a palmetto tree, but that would be south Carolina, wouldn't it? I have no idea what the second one is but that carved eagle is super!!!! Thanks for the pictures!!!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 05:07:35 PM »
The symbols balanced on the Eagles heads remind me of the ‘Holy Spirit’ iconography seen in lots of old Christian Art. They seem, especially pic #3, to be a similar representation.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 05:11:32 PM by Bob McBride »

Offline AZshot

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 06:02:06 PM »
Yes, the first thing I thought of when I saw the stocks was it's the Holy Spirit.  "God Bless America" if you will, landing on the head of the Eagle.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 11:47:30 PM »
Bob - Azshot,

That’s what I had thought also or a Phoenix.

Buck