Author Topic: How do you make sure your applied-tips are straight?  (Read 872 times)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
How do you make sure your applied-tips are straight?
« on: August 13, 2020, 01:33:20 AM »
This has the potential of being a complicated post.   I will try to be as clear as I can be without graphics.  I am interested in how you make sure your applied tips are properly aligned with the horn?   I am not satisfied with the reliability of my method.   Basically,  my method involves drilling the pilot hole in the throat of the horn using the plane of the cutoff tip as a reference.  I make sure the cutoff tip is as flat as possible and perpendicular as possible to the long axis of the horn at the cut point.   I drill the hole with the drill chuck in my lathe spindle holding the horn in my hands such that I can visualize the plane of the cutoff relative to the drill bit.  This method is tricky and relies on my eyesight which is not what it used to be given a detached retina.  Given that I turn the tenon on my horn using a chucked tap in the pilot hole,  if the hole isn't perfectly aligned, the tenon won't be perfectly aligned and the tip won't be perfectly aligned.   

The basic question is does anybody have a different procedure for turning tenons or applying tips that results is more reliably aligned tips.   I would say that I am reasonably happy with 2/3 of my horns and the other third are passable, but I would like a better result if there is a better approach.   

Thanks,

Mark

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: How do you make sure your applied-tips are straight?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 03:32:25 PM »
 Mark, I drill all my horns by hand, cut off the tip, mark the center and drill away, I do not use a pilot hole just a 1/4" bit.
Then I work the horn down as the tip gets closer to the size I'm looking for I make the tip, sometimes I already have tips made and start working the tip onto the horn. I taper the tip and the horn, once the tip is close and the horn is final shaped I finish fitting the tip, rub pencil inside the tip and press it on the horn, then remove the transfer until I get a good fit. Notice the end of the horn is flat as is the inside of the tip, not sure that is necessary just the way I do it.Once every thing is ready to go together I put a 1/4" rod through the tip and into the horn, that usually takes care of it. The rod also works as a stop while drilling the holes for the pins and while the glue dries if your using any. Be sure and put a thin coating of wax or Vaseline on the rod so it stays free.
 A couple pix, the tool that I use to taper the inside of the tip is an old 3/4" pipe reamer that I broke off.
 Hope that helps.

Tim

« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 03:37:34 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: How do you make sure your applied-tips are straight?
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 04:15:39 PM »
Tim,  thanks for that feedback.