General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Is there a difference in maintenance of zero between these target sight systems?

(1/1)

Naphtali:
Does a muzzleloading target rifle, whose sight system stays together and complete when barrel is removed from rifle to clean it, achieve better maintenance of its zero than a rifle whose tang-mounted rear sight stays with the rifle when barrel with front sight is dismounted to clean?

Dphariss:
Would depend on the rifle.
An M1 Garand match rifle does not like having the stock removed and may take a few rounds to resettle once this it done. This is what I have read, never tested this myself.
Dan

Candle Snuffer:
Don't know if this is of any help, but the most accurate rifles I own - all have the barrel pinned to the stock, regardless if they are full or half stock, with the breech plug and tang as one unit screwed into the barrel.  I never remove these barrels from the stock for cleaning.  There's no need to IMHO unless you drop your rifle into a puddle of water, or you get caught in a down pour where it would be neccessary to thoroughly clean the rifle.  (I'll also add that these are the rifles I built that fit me the way I like - they are not factory made, so this also has a lot to do with their/my accuracy).

The rifles I own (factory built) that the barrel is held by one or more wedge keys, and a hooked breech do not seem to keep/hold their accuracy once the barrel is removed for cleaning.  They always seem to need (as Dan mentioned above - a few rounds to resettle them back to the stock).

Simple solution,,, don't remove the barrel for cleaning.

This is just what I've found through the years to be the case.  Hope it helps.

Roger Fisher:
I build my own, no hooked breeches..

I do not remove any barrels from any rifles to clean.  They stay together over the years and years crud and all!  Except in the bore and lock of course... ;D

T*O*F:
See thread entitled "Hooked breeches less accurate ??? "
It's about 10 topics down and was just discussed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version