Author Topic: Montgomery/Floyd County Virginia powder horn  (Read 1681 times)

Offline hillr

• Starting Member
Montgomery/Floyd County Virginia powder horn
« on: June 27, 2020, 04:56:25 AM »
I thought some of you might enjoy seeing another Virginia horn. This horn belongs to my father-in-law and came down to him through the Conduf side of his family who were from Floyd County Virginia. Floyd County was once part of Montgomery County in South Western Virginia.  It has a turned horn spout and turned butt plug. It also has circle carvings with hatching.  The more interesting figures on it include two cross hatched deer and a figure shooting at the deer with a bow and arrow. Unfortunately the shooting figure is almost rubbed off and will not show up in the pictures. I also apologize for the pictures. I did not take them and the horn is 3 1/2 hours away from me, so I am depending on my father-in-law to take the pictures. I look forward to hearing your comments on this piece.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: Montgomery/Floyd County Virginia powder horn
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 07:07:51 AM »
This is a very nice folk art horn, and that it is a family piece makes it all the more attractive. Just one question: where are the bag with the tools, and rifle that should be with it? Sometimes it is worth asking those questions. The spout is very nice and almost looks like it could be a screw tip, or an applied end. The butt plug is also an attractive feature of this horn. Is it maple? The horn has great color and the engraving is folky, but
has considerable charm. It is as good a piece of frontier art as one could hope to see. Does the family have any stories or history on this?
Too bad it is far away, and is not readily accessible.A few more photos would be nice. Well, I have enjoyed seeing it; thank you for posting it here.
Dick   

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 02:08:48 PM »
Thanks for posting the horn, very nice. Looks like it got some good honest use, but was taken care of. Like Mr.no gold, I hope their are pictures of things that went with it.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 02:15:06 AM »
I like that base plug.

Offline hillr

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 04:27:19 AM »
Unfortunately, there are not any other accoutrements in the family. There is a late nineteenth century rifle in the family.  I haven’t seen it in years and do not have any pictures of it. It is still in Virginia. I will try to get pictures of it. Glad you all enjoyed seeing it.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 10:41:24 PM »
What a neat horn.  I'll bet this is typical of many horns in the day. 

I love those deer.  Very folky cool. 

Someone got a compass at one point.  :-) 

Thank you for sharing it with us Walter.

God Bless,   Marc

Offline hillr

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 04:22:57 AM »
Yes, someone got a compass but it looks like they ran out of steam before they were finished.  Lol!

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 11:17:24 PM »
Thanks for sharing that horn.  I really enjoyed it. 

Offline hillr

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 03:54:52 AM »
Glad you enjoyed it.  Next time I get my hands on it I will try to. Get better pictures or a rubbing off the carving that might better illustrate the guy with the bow and the deer.