Author Topic: Are horns getting harder  (Read 1605 times)

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Are horns getting harder
« on: July 01, 2020, 12:52:58 AM »
Hello everyone.

Is it just me or are cow horns getting harder and more brittle?

Cory Joe Stewart

Offline G. Elsenbeck

Re: Are horns getting harder
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 01:38:15 PM »
Corey, where are you getting your horns from?
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 03:49:12 PM »
The last batch came from powder horns and more.

Cory Joe Stewart

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 04:59:02 PM »
 At times I notice a difference in horns but see no problem working it so I just move on.

Tim

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 06:19:21 PM »
I’ve seen shiny polished horn for sale that were already pretty thin especially at the butt. I used to prefer a rough horn. Not sure if some are overcooked while cleaning, or if that’s even a possibility. Has anyone who’s made a hundred or more horns experienced brittleness in some, and is there anything to look for when selecting a horn to avoid it?
Andover, Vermont

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 06:54:13 PM »
Generally I tend to stay away from a horn from Texas Longhorns, they like to split and are brittle.  As for Bison, well they're a whole different beast.  Holstein is a great source of your horns.  I get mine now from Roland Cadle and I still have a bunch I got from Powder Horns & More when John owned the company.  Locally I have a source from a meat processor and call every once in a while, but being in central NY the horns that are available will be small that work out great for small projects or a nice flat horn project. 
Even horns from holsteins (just to name one) can differ from horn to horn, even on the same horn, you can come across a 'soft' or hard section.  Just what one has to be prepared for when you go to engrave them.  So no, they are not getting harder or brittle, just the nature of the hobby and that comes with experience of working many, many horns over the last 20+ years.
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Longwalker

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 04:53:19 PM »
Lete reading this thread, but about 30 yrs ago there was an older gent. who lived in SW Ohio who sold raw Oxen horns. He had piles of them at his home. Oxen horns were the best I have ever worked. I've only made about 30 powder horns, so my experience is limited. Generally they were large and right sized for F&I War horns. Don't know where you might find oxen horns now. Possibly fleabay: English Oxen Horns???