Author Topic: Estate find....?  (Read 1913 times)

Online oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Estate find....?
« on: July 03, 2020, 08:42:32 PM »
   Well to be honest...not sure what I have here. But I bought it at an estate sale along with several other guns. All the others were modern. But this is the only one that I liked. 7 guns in all but I had to buy all of them to get this one. Part of the seller's request.
 So the question is ? Is it old say 1850 ish or something newer..?
I believe the hammer has been replaced an the rear site..?
It has a lot of patina. The stock is curly maple, the lock has writing H. Elwell warranted on it. No other markings on gun.
The barrel appears to be 40 caliber. 34 inches long. 1 1/4 across the flats. Double ser triggers. That have to be set before hammer will set. All furniture is brass.
Has nice wrist repair an character.
  So is it old or a sad attemp at gun building..Your thoughts...Please.   .Oldtravler

Offline Chowmi

Re: Estate find....?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 09:20:16 PM »
Interesting find.
Please don’t take this as anywhere near an expert opinion, but those lock moldings look a bit fat and chunky to me. Like you see on first time gunbuildr’s guns.
Funky trigger guard too!

Admittedly, that time period is way out of my depth. Grain of salt.

Norm.
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 09:56:12 PM »
I like the wrist repair.

Can't tell from the photo, do the screws have any patina? Looks like screws and pins.
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 11:18:22 PM »
It appears to be an original rifle of moderate quality. The late style guards suggest mid-1850s or a little later. The slight fish-belly toe line in the butt stock hints at Ohio to me as do the triggers, but the two-piece patchbox, lid and large surround, is odd for this period...to say the least. Such boxes suggest a more southern origin, or at times New York.

We really need clearer pictures particularly of the patchbox side to help with this rifle, and new pictures of the back side showing cheekpiece, lock bolt washer, and rear pipe, to know where this rifle most likely came from.  Shelby Gallien

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 11:49:42 PM »
I'm with Shelby. No "expert" here, but have handled and seen a bunch of Ohio guns of this vintage.
 Decent old survivor looks to me.
What is caliber? With a 1 1/4 inch barrel, I bet its a armful, and then some.
Thanks for posting. Hard to get good pics with phone.
Dave F 8) 8)

Online oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 12:21:22 AM »
  Thanks everyone...!  I was thinking Ohio...but here are !ore pics.of.toe plate rear ram rod thimble an muzzle....thanks again..  Oldtravler

Online oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 12:31:07 AM »
  The wrist repair is with screws no pins. The screws an brass seem to have the same aged look if that makes any sense.
 What I think is that it was built as a target rifle..has good balance until you point the muzzle south...For a short gun it is heavy. ...Thanks again..  Oldtravler

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 12:03:07 AM »
 Neat find Mike, I like the Ohio thinking, maybe Eastern based on the PB shape. The wrist repair was done well, not easy to get one to fit like that, was done by somebody who knew what they were doing and wanted it to look good. Is that a simple fingernail under the lid opening PB?

Tim
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 06:15:20 PM by Tim Crosby »

Online oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 12:31:31 AM »
  Tim yes it is a simple fingernail release. I am curious as to it's value if any. What I have found out that it at one time had a long tang on it. Whether it was broke off to do the repair ? Or part of the original break...Their were two other guns in the pile . One revolver an one single shot target rifle. 2 rifles, the Muzzeloader, three revolvers an the shotgun...Tim they REALLY wanted the guns gone...I knew their Dad...he was into old car collecting.. Never knew he had guns...but he said before he passed they would sell everything he had for cheap..He wasn't kidding....Mike