Author Topic: Builder Inquiry  (Read 1812 times)

RoaringBull

Builder Inquiry
« on: July 01, 2020, 07:54:10 AM »
I have been doing a bunch of genealogy research and was wondering if anyone had ever come across a builder by the name of Johannes Shuck, or George Shuck. They were somewhere in Pennsylvania. I can get that information nailed down better if need be.

I'm not sure if they even were builders, but one of the researchers I'm in contact with seems to insist that they were. I figured with the learned group here, this would be the best place to inquire.

Thanks
David Shook

RoaringBull

Re: Builder Inquiry
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 07:56:41 AM »
And also, while I'm at it, how about a man named Jacob Shook in Western North Carolina, Clyde, North Carolina to be exact.

Thanks
David

Offline Kevin

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 10:52:49 PM »
Greetings Spotted Bull,

Maybe something or not:  Rifles of Colonial America Volume I by George Shumway shows a rifle (Number 75) that has a"Jo Shock" or possibly "Jo Schock" as the barrel signature.  In the heading for this rifle the author lists the name as John Shock and also indicates that, at least then, wasn't known about him.

I realize it is not "Shuck" but sometimes the spelling of names change over time.  I know it happened in some lines in my family history.

Kevin

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 02:57:37 AM »
I took a look in my "Arms Makers of Pennsylvania" book by James Whisker.  Couldn't find any Shook, Schook, Shoch, Schoch.  But as Kevin posted, there is a John Shock of Lancaster county.  Described as probably an apprentice of Valentine Fondersmith.

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 04:00:21 AM »
Interesting that Whisker lists him in "Arms Makers of Pennsylvania", but the name doesn't appear in his "Pennsylvania Gun Makers", "Arms Makers of Lancaster County" or "Gunsmiths of Lancaster County Pennsylvania".
Kunk

RoaringBull

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 04:25:15 AM »
Greetings Spotted Bull,

Maybe something or not:  Rifles of Colonial America Volume I by George Shumway shows a rifle (Number 75) that has a"Jo Shock" or possibly "Jo Schock" as the barrel signature.  In the heading for this rifle the author lists the name as John Shock and also indicates that, at least then, wasn't known about him.

I realize it is not "Shuck" but sometimes the spelling of names change over time.  I know it happened in some lines in my family history.

Kevin

Was there an approximate date given for this rifle?

Many thanks guys for the information.

Offline Kevin

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2020, 04:13:02 PM »
"Was there an approximate date given for this rifle?"

The author indicates that "this rifle could date to the 1770 decade."

Kevin

RoaringBull

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 05:44:39 AM »
Thanks Kevin.