Author Topic: NEW July ALR postal shoot!!  (Read 11016 times)

Offline alacran

Re: NEW July ALR postal shoot!!
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2020, 11:08:19 PM »
Well I made the target the same way Taylor and Daryl, glued it to a piece of copy paper and had 3 copies made when I went to the PO.
This morning the wind was under 8 miles an hour so I went to the creek bottom. I used my flintlock target rifle. It has a Douglass XX .45 caliber barrel. I used .451 cast balls with bear lubed Jo Ann's cotton drill 40, on top of 70 grains of Goex 3f powder. 50 yards set with a range finder.
I'm posting my second target which is the only one I took a photo of. Nothing to write home about, but it is not bad. The light was constant during the time that I shot the target.

The other shot is the creek bottom I shoot at when the range is not open.

A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2020, 11:17:36 PM »
That's some good shooting. I didn't expect the first shooter to put 5 in a good group in the black like that. Save it for a tie breaker.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2020, 12:55:25 AM »
Good shooting. It's one thing to hit a, what? 4 11/16"" steel disk at 50yards on the trail, but another
to hit it 5 times in a row, well inside the edges. Well done alacran.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2020, 03:30:45 AM »
I just traced my disc out on some heavy 8x11 paper and stapled it to a piece of cardboard.  I colored it with black marker.  Im hoping to shoot this weekend.  But its been mid 90s here and humid.

Offline BillF/TRF

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2020, 04:53:21 AM »
If you trace the disc on black construction paper, cut the outside edge carefully with a scissors and for the middle circle, a #9, 15mm gouge makes a perfect sized punch when used against a block of wood.  I have a 9/13 Pheil gouge, a little small but good enough.  If you have different radius small gouges, you could follow the inner circle tracing against a wood block and just "rock" your gouge (as in Kibler's tutorials) along the inner outline.  Then take the disc, glue it to  white copy paper and make copies!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2020, 08:25:39 AM »
Yes- could have done that, Bill, but I do not hold out much hope for many centre hits.
The 2mm smaller circle will just have to be as it is.  I do have to glue them to larger
pieces of paper or cardboard, though.
Daryl

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2020, 06:32:43 PM »
YIKES Mike- take care.
Here, if only this dang rain would stop!

Wasn't as bad as it looked.  :) 

Mike Lee

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2020, 12:07:37 AM »
Hot day. Last target of the day after shooting weekly club postal matches. This is pretty good for me.

Andover, Vermont

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2020, 03:16:21 AM »
Is that rifle, pistol, or smoothbore?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2020, 03:29:18 AM »
Ahh. Rifle 50 yards offhand.
Andover, Vermont

Offline StevenV

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2020, 03:34:30 AM »

I went to range, shot two targets, will wait on the last one for later. As you can see I also posted the equipment I use, not looking to get one by anyone. Just shy of 61 and eyes aren't the same, not bad but not crystal clear. The lyman eye patch does help clear up the fuzz, not magnification just a tiny hole you look thru.If you want to compete you need to be able to see what your shooting at. So far as the sights, front is a thin fixed blade. The rear sight is an adjustable Micro sight, (not made anymore) made in California imagine that. The adjustment comes into play at 100 and 200 yards. 25 and 50 it's not really necessary. I shoot the same powder charge at 25 as I do at 200. Don't remember if equipment was discussed so putting it out there what I use. The difference between target one and two was more focus. After the first target , wasn't happy, so tried and stayed focused more, some time it works not always. Just wasn't ready to say shooting has passed me by. Thanks for keeping the monthly postal shoot going. I will try and shoot each month but we are entering the harvest season and free time gets less and less. If you think the equipment gives me unfair advantage , your more then welcome to remove them , no problems.             Steve

Offline Daryl

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2020, 03:37:40 AM »
Well done, Rich.
Decent group, Steven.
I think Taylor and I are shooting this tomorrow.
It'll be the B###H for me. Don't know what he'll be shooting.
Daryl

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2020, 03:43:57 AM »
Nice shooting Steve. Open sights are open sights!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2020, 04:38:22 AM »
Good shooting guys. That eye pal gizmo looks pretty handy. Some days my sights are a bit fuzzy .

Offline alacran

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2020, 03:00:30 PM »
Good shooting Steve and Rich. I think we are off to a good start.
Steve it is good to see someone who is not miserly with their powder charges. That 60 grain load of yours in your 40 cal is in the 2000 ft per second range. With adjustable sights, no need to change powder charges. I was still shooting Teflon patching when I was 60. Quit using it after Texas patching became unavailable. It took me about a year of experimenting to come up with what I am using today.
By the way the rifle I used for this match has Bomar sights, which I never fiddle with for offhand shooting.
Rich your group on a standard 8 ring black NMLRA target , all your balls would be in the  6 inch black. Good Shooting.
If we get points for age, I'm twice as old as Justin.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2020, 05:08:32 PM »
I have a new excuse for not shooting. You guys are too good.

I'd need to have my eyes as they were 20 years ago to be competitive.

Have fun guys. I'll just watch.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2020, 02:10:23 AM »
Well, one to present - not very good, scores 25.
I'm starting to think my effective hunting range has been reduced in the last few years.
Just hit 70, end of May.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 02:14:53 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2020, 03:01:03 AM »
Nice shooting for a big ball.  What cal?  Rifle or smoothie?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2020, 03:03:18 AM »
.69 cal. rifle. I'd be ecstatic if I could do that with a smoothbore at 50 yards.
Daryl

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2020, 04:45:13 AM »
Haha.  Same here.  I will shoot it with one of my .62 rifles and my 58 smoothie.  But Im sure my best results will be with my 50 or 54 rifles.  Smoothbore targets are so tough to be consistent with.  You will shoot a couple good balls and a few bad balls.  At least I do.  Here is an example.

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2020, 09:13:45 AM »
I got out and did a bit of shooting to see what I inflicted on you poor guys. The range was super busy (which was weird because it was monsoon type raining) so I just fired 9 shots at this one. That little centre is pretty elusive. I pulled one shot and accompanied it by some colorful language. It is not an easy one. Good luck everyone.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2020, 07:16:32 PM »
Had a short session yesterday with Daryl at our range...first decent day in three weeks.  Like the rest of you, I found the 15 point dot to be illusive.  So I scored 25 too.  I shall make another attempt in the near future....

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2020, 12:14:46 AM »
Well like I said it won't take much of a score to beat the 'ol "Muskrat" this month. This center is hard to see with these old eyes. Anyway got up today and it was only 56 degrees and very overcast so I loaded up and ran to the range. The center hole hit on the one target was just $#@* house luck. Anyway still better than not shooting at all and decent score for an old man. Out of the running but any time I am making white smoke I am a happy camper.

"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2020, 12:24:46 AM »
You're currently tied for high score. It's not over yet. 25 is respectable

Offline Daryl

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2020, 01:39:29 AM »
It's amazing how small & how quickly that 4 11/16" black bullseye crosses my aim, as my sights dip and weave all over.
Gotta catch it on the way by.
Daryl