Author Topic: NEW July ALR postal shoot!!  (Read 10876 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: NEW July ALR postal shoot!!
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2020, 10:24:17 PM »
So close, and yet so far.  really nice shooting Maven.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Maven

« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2020, 01:22:44 AM »
Thanks, Taylor!  I'm happy to see that the cracked & repaired forestock is no longer a problem.
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Daryl

« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2020, 11:12:52 PM »
Tried again, posted for your amusement only.
Had a couple good shots- too bad it takes more than that.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2020, 01:58:55 AM »
Daryl and I have been out to the range to shoot our third target for this mail match, and so far, neither of us has been able to match our best score submitted.  Today, I used my Joseph Lang 15 bore rifle and though I was able to keep most of my rounds in the black, the centre 1/2" dot has been illusive.  Like Daryl, I submit this target for your perusal and not for score, but intend to try again for a better one - my third submission, so this is just to try to keep this thread active with submissions.  And in view of the thread on Light loads, I tried 50 gr. in this rifle just for fun knowing 85 gr. is more accurate.  I was still able to hit the black every time...just couldn't hit the centre dot.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2020, 02:47:35 AM »
Daryl and I have been out to the range to shoot our third target for this mail match, and so far, neither of us has been able to match our best score submitted.  Today, I used my Joseph Lang 15 bore rifle and though I was able to keep most of my rounds in the black, the centre 1/2" dot has been illusive.  Like Daryl, I submit this target for your perusal and not for score, but intend to try again for a better one - my third submission, so this is just to try to keep this thread active with submissions.  And in view of the thread on Light loads, I tried 50 gr. in this rifle just for fun knowing 85 gr. is more accurate.  I was still able to hit the black every time...just couldn't hit the centre dot.

That is some dandy shooting old buddy!

Stop Marxism in America

Offline Daryl

« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2020, 02:51:20 AM »
Incidentally, those two 2 centre hits were my first 2 shots on that target, then the one on the right side, just in, then upper miss and left hand miss.
IT happens.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 03:03:38 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2020, 03:44:28 AM »
Daryl,

Good shooting both yourself and Taylor, but did you miss-mark your target?  I see it says 25 yards, and the OP for this shoot said 50 yards....

Offline Daryl

« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2020, 04:21:14 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up, but it says 25 PTS Richard. 
Now that I look at it again, I might have fired 6 shots.
The one left of centre, is about 1 1/3rd to 1 1/2 balls high.  I don't remember now,
my back was hurting so much I wanted it over with.  Either way, it makes
no difference.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 08:13:36 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Maven

« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2020, 04:17:21 PM »

Great shooting both you and Taylor!
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2020, 04:21:21 PM »
Ah! Thank you Daryl!

I looked and looked at that, wondering what else it could be, but it still looked like "yds" on my screen!

Thanks again,
Richard.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2020, 04:30:35 PM »
Some darn good shooting from you guys. No excuse for ever missing a shot on game. ;)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2020, 07:31:42 PM »
Ah! Thank you Daryl!

I looked and looked at that, wondering what else it could be, but it still looked like "yds" on my screen!

Thanks again,
Richard.

If you LEFT click on the picture, it will enlarge. Then if you LEFT click on it again, it will again enlarge. - or you can key the Ctrl button and scroll the mouse button, or while holding the Ctrl
button down, you can key the + key and the page/picture will enlarge.  Holding the Ctrl button and keying the 0 (zero) button will return the page to it's normal size for your computer.
If you are looking at this on a phone, all bets are off the table. Other than touching the screen then widening the fingers, I have no idea.
Daryl

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2020, 01:35:35 AM »
Well , I finally got to shoot a target today.  I used a black crayon, because it's all I could find in my haste to get to shoot .   Just for giggles, I figured I'd try 20 gr of 3F to see what would happen.
The 1st shot was low , so I adjusted my sight picture and fired the other 4 shots. Those two holes next to the centre couldn't possibly be any closer without scoring ..... :(     I hope to get to try this target again before the end of the month

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2020, 03:34:13 AM »
Real nice shouting there, Bob!
Andover, Vermont

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2020, 03:40:33 AM »
It's a decent group but not good enough  :)    BTW,  the two next to centre weren't consecutive shots
They were #2 and #4

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2020, 05:07:58 AM »
Excellent shooting Bob.  You too Daryl and Taylor. You guys have a knack for shooting those big bores well. I'll need some practice when I get my .62 English sporting rifle together this fall.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2020, 05:18:59 AM »
LOL - I used to find shooting that big rifle easy. Not so much any more. I think it has to do with the single trigger, I think, even though it is a touch, under 3 pounds
and fairly, almost crisp. Holding it on target is not anywhere as easy as it used to be, for some reason.
Taylor's Lang, has a single set trigger - and VERY crisp and nice. Unset, it's a bit of a chore.
We're going to do this again, but with the little guns. ;D
Daryl

Offline Daryl

« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2020, 05:47:26 AM »
That's a better group than you think, Bob. With that light powder charge, that is the best sized
group I could get at 50yards from my .36 shooting from the bench, double rested.
It needs over 30gr. to tighten up much better than that & 40gr. to shoot into an inch or better.
Daryl

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2020, 03:43:07 PM »
Daryl, I was surprised at how well the rifle did with that 20 gr load, however the first shot [ low ] shows just how much difference there is between this and the 30 gr charge I used at 25 yards.  I used a well lubed  linen spit patch .  My usual everyday charge for this rifle is 40 gr of 3F  .  That is the charge I'll use when I shoot this target again.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2020, 08:32:27 PM »
My 48" twist Goodioen barrel liked 55gr. 3F (or 2F) with a water based lube for 50yards.
With LHV, it needed 65gr. 3F and 75gr. 2F to get the same accuracy AND POI, yet the vel.
with both of those was 2,240 iirc, compared to  about 1,750fps & 1,720fps with the lighter
charges.
Daryl

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2020, 11:29:09 PM »
I shot the target again today.  Managed to get some black construction paper , and glued to a sheet of copy paper.   This time I used 40 gr 3F, and to my surprise , the shots all tended to hit lower , almost , but not quite the same area as the 20 gr load. Probably has something to do with barrel time/recoil etc
I have to remember to take more front sight when aiming

I wrote a note on the target, but it's not too clear. The lower right hole is actual 2 shots. It's a little more evident if looking at the paper from the back. I'm scoring this at 25.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 11:37:57 PM by bob in the woods »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2020, 02:46:11 AM »
THAT is a nice 50 yard offhand group, Bob!  Well done. ;D
Daryl

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2020, 03:51:44 AM »
I agree!   Well done!!  Thats gonna be a tough group to beat.  Did u measure it?

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2020, 04:58:54 AM »
Just measured it now.  The upper holes c to c are 2 inches apart . From the upper left hole to the bottom enlarged hole [ 2 shots] is 1 5/8ths   and from the upper right to those two is 1 inch  So,
2 inches x 1 5/8ths x 1 inch
This .40 that I built about 10 years ago , fits me perfectly for summer shooting. When I bring it up, the sights are on. I used to want more weight up front and was sorry I used an A weight swamped barrel at first, but now that I'm officially in my senior years , I've come to really like it.  The Davis triggers are set very light, and that is a tremendous help.

Offline Dowrat

« Reply #99 on: July 26, 2020, 10:23:54 PM »
That's an outstanding group for 50 yards offhand, Bob. Nicely done.

Darryl