Author Topic: Original Horn from ????  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Molly

Original Horn from ????
« on: July 06, 2020, 08:37:22 PM »
This was purchased by a family member at an estate auction in probably the mid 60's.  The family holding the auction was named Kinnikin, William I think.  It was in Madison County Illinois.  Date is 1876.  The name is on the horn, W KINNIKIN along with a crude stick man with a hat pointing a firearm at a deer. The name is just above the date.  Hard to make it all out in the photos but very much an original, even the plug.  It was actually almost full of powder when purchased.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: Original Horn from ????
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 09:29:25 PM »
Nice horn! Too bad someone didn't inquire about the rest of the outfit. The carving has a charm that is often seen on 'folk' horns. I tried to carve a horn once upon a time and it is not easy. Takes some time to master I imagine. Do you know which county it was found in? Thank you for showing it around here on the Forum. Maybe it is time time to talk about a Library category for horns.
Dick

Offline Molly

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 10:40:06 PM »
Madison County, Omphghent Township.  Generally speaking east of Alton and North of Edwardsville.   

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 10:48:36 PM »
Great horn from our past!  Love the shape, the size and especially the color/patina not to mention the story about it.   Love seeing these. 
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 11:34:48 PM »
William S Kinnikin born in Madison County IL 1859 and died in Grapevine TX.  He was a carpenter.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.