Author Topic: Carrying Blankets  (Read 2254 times)

Offline Kyle791

• Starting Member
Carrying Blankets
« on: July 05, 2020, 06:07:21 AM »
Were blankets in the 18th century, particularly 1750s to 1770s, ever carried in the Civil War method rolled up and worn over the shoulder? Or was it more typical just to use a tump line?

Offline Craig Wilcox

Re: Carrying Blankets
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 10:11:51 PM »
It is my understanding, mostly from reenactments in the early 60's, that clothes and other things were rolled up in the blanket, then the ends of the roll were tied together and the resulting "hoop" was worn over the shoulder.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 04:08:48 AM »
Where blanket rolls used during the Civil War, yes to an extent, but I don't think their usage can really be documented to any great deal beyond certain circumstances, but they do appear every so often in the odd image from then. The blanket roll as something to carry your extra goods around in makes almost no sense. First off, they are extraordinarily hot when worn over any issued uniform. Second, you can't really put your issued stuff in one and have it be small enough to be worn. And yes, both sides got issued a lot more than you realized. And finally, no matter which side you wear the thing on, it either keeps you from accessing your cartridge box or interferes with shouldering your weapon. The way that is documented that they did roll them, for the times when you only needed a blanket, like on pickett or advanced guard duty, you would roll up the wool and gum blanket and then have a guy on each end twist it and then once twisted you would ties the ends together until it looks like a twist of tobacco. That is the only way to use a single tie and not have the thing flop around all over your body.
Psalms 144

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 04:37:14 AM »
I vaguely remember a passage about cavalry in Napoleonic Wars wearing their blankets on their shoulders, which provided some significant protection against saber cuts from other cavalry. That is the only mention I can recall off the top of my head.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline diamante

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 05:05:32 PM »

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 08:11:36 PM »
That’s the thing about being in the field, as a soldier or otherwise, no matter how hot it is during the day, the blanket’s the last thing you ‘lose’ as no matter how miserable you are during the day, from carrying one, that’s the least of your miseries and you’re warm at night while the guy dumb enough to pitch his blanket is miserable 24/7.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 01:12:29 AM »

About the most famous blanket roll picture in the world. I know of a few others where there is a blanket roll or two visible. Notice that they all have knapsacks and 2 of them do not have their blankets rolled. Almost looks as if they picked up some supplies after being captured.
Psalms 144

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 01:48:58 AM »
The question was concerning the 18th C .  We know about the blanket shoulder carry being common during the Civil War ie 19th C .   I lean toward the tumpline type of carry, especially since we are often using canoes etc here .

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 07:17:05 AM »
We also forget that many travelers used horses more back in the day than we do. Long hunters always had horses to pack in supplies and pack out hides. Yes they walked too and carried their own supplies but they went extra light when on foot. It's been a while since I've read a first hand account about this and most of my books are long gone or I would look it up.