Author Topic: William Barnhart  (Read 1861 times)

Wcurrent

William Barnhart
« on: July 07, 2020, 01:03:39 AM »
I recently found out my Great Great Grandfather was William Barnhart. I was hoping to find out more about his guns and his father’s guns.  I was also hoping to locate some of their guns to show my boys.  My cousins still live in Chillicothe, I live in Williamsburg Va. Any information, photos would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline EC121

Re: William Barnhart
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 01:30:24 AM »
I once had a rifle by William, the elder.  He worked in Green Township which is near Kingston.  His tools are still on display in the Ross County Historical society Museum.  They also have some the Barnhart rifles on display.  William, the younger, and Nehemiah Barnhart also built rifles.  I went to the museum years ago, and the attendant let me take the rifles out and dust them  for her.  The tools and rifles were on loan from the Barnhart family so I don't know if they are still there or not.  IIRC William, the elder, signed his rifles in script, and William,the younger, and Nehemiah had a block letter stamp to sign them.  My rifle had a lock marked "Gardner and Schutte, Chillicothe, Ohio".  They had a hardware store in Chillicothe and, apparently sold rifle parts.  The store partnership only lasted three years so I could date my rifle to approx. 1855 +/- a few years.  It had 12 groove rifling sort of like the modern Marlin Microgroove.  It looked like the usual heavy barreled halfstock Ohio rifle with the skinny stock, hooked buttplate, and double hook triggerguard.   
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 01:40:08 AM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 02:45:55 AM »
Don't know anything about the maker, but I have seen a couple Barnhart rifles at auction over the years.  Think OlD Barn had sold a few . Ask them for old catalogs.  Buy yourself a set of Ohio books,

http://aolrc.com/sale

Wcurrent

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 04:26:10 AM »
Thanks so much.  Every bit of information about the guns and the gunmaker is so fascinating.  I assumed they made all of the gun parts. I wonder who came up with idea to grooving the barrel? 
Thanks for The lead, OlD Barn.  It sure would be nice to bring one home.

Offline EC121

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 04:38:45 AM »
I grew up in Chillicothe.  Went to school with Barnharts, but it wasn't in 1855.  :D
Brice Stultz

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 04:49:54 AM »
Welcome, if Smoking Buck ( Smokinbuck) is still on here, he can probably find you a Barnhart rifle.  When they have the AOLRC show In Marietta  , you might be able buy one there.  Nice show in a neat old river town. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 04:57:50 AM by Avlrc »

Offline VP

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 05:59:51 AM »
Wcurrent,

The Kentucky Rifle Foundation has for sale a CD entitled "Rifles of the Northwest Territory", which is the Ohio and area north and west from there. There are twenty rifles on the CD and one of them is a great William Barnhart rifle. There are about twelve phots of the rifle. The CD can be purchased on our online store. You can at least show them one of his rifles until you an acquire one. The website is:

www.kentuckyriflefoundation.org/store

VP

galudwig

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 03:17:11 PM »
Here are some articles from past Association of Ohio Longrifle Collectors newsletters highlighting the Barnhart family of gun builders.

http://www.aolrc.com/upload/files/Vol%20VI%20No%202%20Aug%201984.pdf

http://www.aolrc.com/upload/files/AOLRC.1%285%29.pdf

http://www.aolrc.com/upload/files/AOLRC.2%285%29.pdf

http://www.aolrc.com/upload/files/AOLRC.2%287%29.pdf

There is a gentleman in the Chillicothe area who is a a relative of the Barnhart's as well and he has a sizable collection of their rifles. He is an AOLRC member and goes to their shows. I cannot think of his name offhand right now. If you reached out to the AOLRC, they could get you in touch with him. The AOLRC has a show coming up at the end of September. He will likely be there with his collection to view.

22nd Annual AOLRC Antique Gun & Arms Show
Date:  9/26/20
Time:  9:00am - 4:00pm
Place:  Community Wesleyan Church, Newark, OH

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 05:37:27 PM »
The Barnharts were a very prolific gun building clan and we have at least one member who is a direct descendant with a collection of their rifles. I'm certain Barney will be at our Newark show but he rarely parts with one. I do know of a Neamiah that may be coming up for sale. It's a nice one and won't go cheap.
Mark

Wcurrent

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2020, 12:09:48 AM »
Thanks so much everyone for sharing the information.  You guys are awesome.  I’ll share this with my cousins.  Please keep me posted if any new information arrises. 

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 12:43:36 AM »
The AOLRC has a set of books available, as a set or individual, that has pictures of Ohio rifles and biographies of makers, Barnhart is included. Individual copies are $45 including shipping. I have them available if you are interested.
Mark