Author Topic: Lets see some Jaegers  (Read 6064 times)

Offline Daryl

Re: Lets see some Jaegers
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2020, 03:01:59 AM »
That indeed, is a special rifle, Jim. Well done.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline alacran

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2020, 03:08:04 PM »
Yeah - what's NOT to like?  They are the second ultimate, but of course, the English only embellished on the German design
to make the ultimate hunting rifle.  That took 50 years or more of time, though. In the meantime, the Jaegers were IT!
Maybe you need to look at later Jagers. They are not as prevalent in the US or Canada as the English guns, but they play second fiddle to no English guns. There is one in Shumway's Jager book towards the back, I lent out the book so I can't tell you what page it is on. Maybe Taylor has the book.
We are mostly familiar with the 18th century German guns because they are seen as precursors to the American longrifle.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2020, 07:25:09 PM »
I'd be interested in seeing that one alarcran. Until then, I still hold that none other matches the English gun of the 1850's
as a hunting rifle, single shot or double rifle. ;)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 12:08:07 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline lexington1

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2020, 05:08:37 AM »
Here are a couple others. The top one is very early, say 1670-1680ish. It has a 38" barrel and is rifled with straight rifling. The wender is rifled in both barrels and is pretty early. I need to get these all out and take some good photos of them.

Offline heinz

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2020, 03:52:12 AM »
This is an original that has some interesting features.   The patch box is spring-loaded and latches at the front of the box on a notch in the dovetails.  There is no buttplate,  the wire inlay work utilizes staining in the captured areas.  The trigger guard is missing.  I suspect the original was wood.  It shows sign of use.  There is a gold touch hole liner and the round-faced lock is actually very appropriate for the 3rd quarter of the 18th century.  George Shumway felt it was 1750 -1775 from the South-Eastern quarter of Germany.

I have a gun in progress for may grandson that uses some of the features but is more Southern transitional. 

kind regards, heinz

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2020, 04:14:30 AM »
That's a very interesting and nice rifle, Heinz.
Thanks for showing it to us.   

Yes, lines look Vienna, I'd have said.  V Nice lines!

Offline wolf

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2020, 04:33:01 PM »
oh if that one could talk,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I have never "harvested" a critter but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2020, 01:49:10 AM »

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2020, 01:50:57 AM »

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2020, 01:55:39 AM »
Im not sure on the date of this one.  It was a smoothie but I had Bobby Hoyt sleeve it to a .60 rifle.  He loved the chiseled flats on the barrel.  My buddy Stan Hollenbaugh basically reforged the inside of the lock, added the sights, and put a new frizzen on it.  I still have all the original parts.  The barrel is 31 inches.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2020, 01:59:38 AM »

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2020, 02:01:13 AM »

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2020, 02:05:15 AM »
This one is c 1720.  It has a 36 in barrel with a 1:24 twist rifled in 62 cal.  Its all original.  Its amazing the engraving on the inside of the lock.  Im having an exact copy of this gun built by Bill Slusser except in an exhibition grade curly maple.  Hes allergic to Walnut now.  June has been 3 years.  I hope soon.

Note the No. 9 on the buttplate.  And the beaded banding.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 03:37:01 AM by Keith Zimmerman »

Offline wolf

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2020, 02:18:07 PM »
i bet you call it ol number 9,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :D
I have never "harvested" a critter but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline alacran

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2020, 02:51:34 PM »
This one is c 1720.  It has a 36 in barrel with a 1:24 twist rifled in 62 cal.  Its all original.  Its amazing the engraving on the inside of the lock.  Im having an exact copy of thid gun built by Bill Slusser except in an exhibition grade curly maple.  Hes allergic to Walnut now.  June has been 3 years.  I hope soon.

Note the No. 9 on the buttplate.  And the beaded banding.
Wow I really like that rifle.  It is not overly ornate like the rifles made for the Nobility.  The carving is very well executed. You can see the the wedding band on the barrel was hand done. Love the side plate.
I feel your pain about waiting. I finished a Jager in 2017, had a heart episode in 2018 and the final finishing was put on hold. Handed it to my engraving buddy last Labor Day. Cant wait to get it back from him so I can fire blue the barrel. Worst thing I don't have one photo of the !@*%&@ thing. Hope you get yours soon.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2020, 06:49:06 PM »
I think the gun was made for nobility.  The No 9 signified where it went in the armory.  And the beaded banding is only really seen on more elite guns Im told.  The whole guns architecture just flows.

Offline heinz

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2020, 01:19:53 AM »
Kieth, I think you are correct about the beading.  MIne has engraving but no beading.  The beading I have seen on original pieces was on the very high-end guns in the Paris Museum de Armee

Really nice Jaegers you have.

kind regards, heinz

Offline alacran

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2020, 03:04:05 PM »
Most rifles commissioned for the nobility would have the coat of arms  on the thumb piece. or sometimes on the barrel. By the standard of the time this is a fairly plain rifle. The barrel may or may not have been made by the gunsmith. The beading does not indicate that this is a high grade barrel in and of itself.
Like I said I really like this rifle because of its plainness. The # 9 is probably a rack #. It may have been a loaner gun for the hunt when some one was invited to hunt on the owners estate. Just my opinion.

Offline heinz

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2020, 03:54:43 PM »
Alacran.  I see your point.  I also like the restrained ornamentation on "number 9" 8)
kind regards, heinz

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2020, 05:18:36 PM »
Wow, that one is exciting. Boldly done. Some aspects of the carving remind me of the “musician’s rifle”.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2020, 05:34:37 PM »
I like that last gun posted. Here is an old photo of carving in progress of a 'jaeger of unknown origin'.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2020, 06:53:23 PM »
Nice clean crisp carving Tom.  I love that rifle.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2020, 07:33:39 PM »
I agree the gun was in an armory of some sort.  And I would think if there was an armory, or an estate at that time, you were a noble of some type.  A lord maybe.  The gun when I acquired it was almost unfired, or very little.

I shoot .595 with a 15th patch.  Shoots great.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2020, 04:40:23 PM »
Very crisp work on that stock, Tom!  Beautiful.

Richard.

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2023, 06:09:34 PM »
Guys,

Here is a very simple one I put together from odd parts lying about the shop.  A 28" 0.54 commercial barrel, plain maple wood stained walnut.

Jim