Author Topic: J W Bean rifle  (Read 3071 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
J W Bean rifle
« on: July 08, 2020, 07:30:08 PM »
Sharing some photos of a nice Bean.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline AZshot

Re: J W Bean rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 09:30:47 PM »
Wow, that is nice.  Wood looks very good especially.   
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 10:09:06 PM by AZshot »

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 10:55:11 PM »
 :o :o :o... Wow,... I'm impressed,... !!!... give us some specs and info,.. !!!!

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 02:29:53 AM »
That's a dandy!!! Thanks for sharing.

Matt
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 06:12:28 AM »
Nice? How long is that barrel?
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 05:32:53 PM »
Barrel 44" long, 45 cal, overall length 59 1/2"
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 03:29:36 PM »
 ??? ???... haven't seen any new info on this fine rifle,... I believe I had read somewhere about some of the later BEAN family of gunsmiths moving to the Illinois country,... could J.W. be one of them,...?

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 09:09:40 PM »
 She sure looks sleek with that back action lock, and that long patch box.

Hungry Horse

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2020, 09:52:52 PM »
This is one pretty rifle. Looks like it would be a joy to shoot. The inlays add a nice touch and suggest that this gun cost more than the usual. Great signature on the barrel. too. Thanks for posting the photos. Much appreciated!
Dick

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 04:49:36 PM »
 8) 8).. Just had to look this one up again,... I have only seen one other known Tennessee rifle with a back-action lock,... more info, please,... is the trigger-guard overlaid with brass or silver,..?,... post some close-up  pix of the barrel tang, the guard, butt-plate, entry pipe and toe-plate please... I find this gun very interesting and thank you for sharing with us,... regards,... CCF,...

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 06:03:46 PM »
Hey CCF, many years ago I had the privilege of examining a poor boy style rifle from Mississippi, that had a back action lock. The owner was an African American, and said his great grandfather built the gun. It was stocked in what appeared to be walnut, was iron fitted, and had a rounded bottom on the cheek rest. I have never seen another triggerguard like the hand forged one on that gun. The front return, and the rear return, were bent 90 degrees at the trigger loop. and fit into slots punched in the flat bottom of the triggerguard. The end of the bottom of the bow (which was actually square) had a finger rest on the rear that curled downward, and a loop on the forward end that curled upward, that may have been to accommodate a sling. It was an outstanding piece of blacksmithing.

Hungry Horse

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 07:16:58 PM »
 8) 8)... HH,... sure would be good to see that rifle and learn more about that gunsmith,... !!! ... Dave Byrd has photos of one that sounds kind of what you describe in his second book,... these rifles never cease to amaze me,.....!!! ... check out his pix and see what you think,... CCF,.... 

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2020, 08:59:31 PM »
CCF, at this age rememberin’ takes time. A couple of other features on that rifle that were a little different was the barrel was extremely rough on the bottom, like it hadn’t seen a file at all. And, the nose cap was missing, but from the remains of a channel on the broken forearm, it appeared to have had a poured nose cap. The washer under the lock screw was shaped like a human eye, with the iris being the screw head. The old guy who owned it said his great grandfather was a farrier by trade, and made the iron furniture out of old horse shoes.

Hungry Horse

Offline louieparker

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2020, 12:58:03 AM »
CCF  Somewhere there is a rifle by Alfred Duncan with a back action lock. Is that the one you have seen ? When I saw that rifle I thought the cheek piece side of the butt was the finest design I had seen  on a Tenn  rifle,,  LP

greybeard

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2020, 04:20:50 AM »
Now that is a right purty piece!!  Bob

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2020, 12:25:21 PM »
Was it Russell Bean that went up to Galena Illinois and Wisconsin?'
TCA
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 12:43:19 PM by T.C.Albert »
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2020, 06:30:50 PM »
That was Joseph Russell Bean, youngest son of Russell Bean, that settled in Jo Daviess County, Illinois, in  1830. He moved to Bad Axe, Wisconsin, in 1856. He did not work in Galena, Illinois. He was
at what is now Apple River, but was then known as Bean's Mound.

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2020, 09:31:15 AM »
Thanks Curt.
Tim
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com