Author Topic: ? what is the best power sharpener  (Read 4353 times)

Offline P.Bigham

? what is the best power sharpener
« on: August 04, 2008, 04:25:29 AM »
 There are a # of sharpener Devices out there What do you recomend? Thanks Paul
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline T*O*F

Re: ? what is the best power sharpener
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 05:21:48 AM »
For sharpening what?
Hatchets, knives, gravers, etc.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 02:29:22 PM »
 Gouges abd chisels. Thanks Paul

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 05:47:53 PM »
I use my GRS hone on flats if they really need fixing, lot of material removed. Stones and a leather strop get the most use.
Power tools work too fast for 99.9% of chisel/gouge sharpening and don't put on a good enough edge.
Guslers carving video goes into sharpening.
Using anything high speed will just burn the temper from the edge and can only be used for roughing out large tools.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 03:02:18 AM »
I swear by my Veritas® Mk.II Power Sharpening System available from Lee Valley Tools.  As it comes it sharpens chisels great.  I made a little wheel and clamping adapter and now sharpen all my gouges on this tool as well.  I have never had such sharp tools.  I am not a fan of the Tormek sharpener because it leaves your tools hollow ground.
DMR

Kentucky Jeff

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 06:05:37 AM »
I have a GRS power hone.  It wont heat the steel up.  I bought it mainly for sharpening gravers but use it for many other things.  The downside is the expense.

I have found that you rarely need to re-stone your chisels if you keep the edges sharp using a leather strop and compound.  I bought a Flexi-cut Slip Strop from Woodcraft last year prior to taking Jim Klein's carving class at Conner Prairie and a quick touch up once or twice a day kept my tools VERY sharp and I never resorted to stoning the tools even after 5 days of carving for perhaps 6 hours a day.  The Slip Strop cost about $14 and comes with some coumpound--its got all manner of curves and ridges for keeping even difficult to sharpen tools like gouges and veiners shaving sharp with just a few passes.

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 02:35:31 PM »
Dave  how can I contact Lee Valley Tool I am not familiar with them?  Paul

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 05:15:49 PM »
At Dixson there was a interesting workshop on sharping and he was against using leather in general but to use a closed cell wood. with a buffing compound rub on it. ya I know no power but food for thought.
David Veith
David Veith