Author Topic: Kibles and some Brooks bits  (Read 5157 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Kibles and some Brooks bits
« on: July 11, 2020, 06:36:01 PM »
Kibler's Colonial kit in .58. Chambers lock, Davis triggers.  I added some carving and engraving along the way. BTW, I'll be teaching a Kibler kit assembly, carving and finishing class at the education center on the NMLRA grounds August 22- 26. Contact Laura Parks at the NMLRA for details. I'm taking 10 students and we have 3 spots left.

NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Stoner creek

Re: Kibles and some Brooks bits
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 06:55:20 PM »
Really nice Mike. I saw that kit before you did your magic on it. I really like the addition of the set trigger too.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline EC121

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 07:03:36 PM »
Really creative.  Looks good.
Brice Stultz

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 08:16:39 PM »
 ;) ;) ;)... Mr. Brooks,..... You have outdone even yourself,... I like it,... (and it ain't even a TENNESSEE rifle,..!!!)... regards,... CCF..

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 08:29:28 PM »
 The carving and engraving are well planed and executed and the trigger is a neat idea.

Tim

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 08:57:49 PM »
Beautiful rifle Mike. 

Offline Oil Derek

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 09:26:35 PM »
Well, those be some very nice bits Mike! Very attractive. For lack of a more informed word, the dentil bits around the top of the butt plate and shell carving is very cool.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2020, 09:34:50 PM »
Looking good, Mike.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 10:05:18 PM »
Muy bonito senior!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 12:07:39 AM by Panzerschwein »

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2020, 11:42:20 PM »
I was too busy looking at small details to notice but that gun shows a whole bunch of Woodbury influences without being a clone. How about that!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 11:50:07 PM »
I was too busy looking at small details to notice but that gun shows a whole bunch of Woodbury influences without being a clone. How about that!
The architecture on these Colonial kits has always looked like a Woodbury gun to my eye.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2020, 12:52:02 AM »
  Ya know...for a ole Iowa chicken farmer...I think your gettin this here...gun..buildin...down prerty good...!!!
  This one is right  spectacular...if..I do say...!!
  Oldtravler

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2020, 07:18:36 PM »
I really like the work you did on this Kibler kit Mike.  Tell me please, in the .58 cal. how does that rifle handle?  What does it weigh?  Does it feel muzzle light?  I am seriously considering putting one together for myself, and was thinking .58 cal might give me what I'm looking for.  As I age, I'm finding rifles over 9 pounds more difficult to hold than I used to.

Taylor
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2020, 10:09:33 PM »
Taylor Iam not Brooks but I’ve put 2 of these together for folks. My favorite rifle is 9 lbs with a 13.5 inch pull.  I found the .54 to heavy for myself and pull a little long. last I prefer the sights a little taller for target work.  I would go with the .58. I don’t know what they weigh. Jim makes a excellent product at a reasonable price. These are just my personal observations. 
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2020, 11:01:40 PM »
I really like the work you did on this Kibler kit Mike.  Tell me please, in the .58 cal. how does that rifle handle?  What does it weigh?  Does it feel muzzle light?  I am seriously considering putting one together for myself, and was thinking .58 cal might give me what I'm looking for.  As I age, I'm finding rifles over 9 pounds more difficult to hold than I used to.

Taylor
I think I would prefer the .58. I don't think I could hold a .54 since I had shoulder surgery back in '17. I get 9lbs even on my wife's kitchen scale.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2020, 11:14:05 PM »
In spite of the rifle's grace and apparent slimness, it still is quite robust.  I think I can handle 9 pounds, and the weight won't go amiss in a .58 cal.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2020, 11:56:00 PM »
In spite of the rifle's grace and apparent slimness, it still is quite robust.  I think I can handle 9 pounds, and the weight won't go amiss in a .58 cal.
Yup, it's a big gun. No whippy little dainty thing.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2020, 01:20:51 AM »
You did big Mike. Thats redneck for I like it
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2020, 06:15:13 PM »
A Brookerized Kibler. Nifty.  ;)

Offline Richard

• North of 54
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2020, 07:14:01 PM »
Very nice Mike. Distinctively Brooks. (Including the humor... Kibbles & Bits) lol.

Online hawkeye

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2020, 08:32:07 PM »
Very nice rifle, is it easy to replace the kibler single trigger with a double set trigger

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2020, 08:33:03 PM »
Very nice rifle, is it easy to replace the kibler single trigger with a double set trigger
The Kibler trigger plate is wider than the davis, so you have to fit in a patch.

Offline skullcap

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2020, 09:06:45 PM »
i have the kibler gun in 58  the perfect balance.  comes up quick. holds great.  real authority when she goes off!    i second paul  on the rear sight  i swapped out to a taller rear sight. the front sight was getting real low on barrel  fuzzy in low light for me   Rick

Offline EC121

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2020, 04:13:11 PM »
Just unpacked it.  With the stain on it you have to look for the trigger patch.  Pretty much invisible.  Great work.  It will be shot this afternoon.
Brice Stultz

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2020, 05:22:02 PM »
Just unpacked it.  With the stain on it you have to look for the trigger patch.  Pretty much invisible.  Great work.  It will be shot this afternoon.
Thanks, I figured you'd like it. The photos don't really do it justice.