Author Topic: Mike Brooks Kibler rifle kit building class  (Read 4297 times)

Offline snapper

Mike Brooks Kibler rifle kit building class
« on: July 12, 2020, 05:12:48 PM »
https://www.nmlra.org/news/mikebrookskiblerclass2020?rq=mike%20brooks

Mike Brooks and his able bodied helper Stoner Creek (aka known as Wayne) will be teaching a gun building class at NMLRA in August.

If you are interested in signing up, you better do it quickly as there are not very many spots left.

I wished that I was available to be at the class.  Without a doubt there will be a lot learned in the class, and I also bet learned after hours with a cold drink and a hunk of meat hanging out on the porch.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Mike Brooks Kibler rifle kit building class
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 10:56:46 PM »
Thanks Art. Laura told be Friday we only have 3 places left to fill out of a maximum class of ten. We'll  be assembling and finishing Kibler kits and for the brave souls I'll teach some relief carving as well.. 5 days, Aug 22-26 at the Education building on the NMLRA grounds. Wayne has warmed up all of his shooting stories for evening entertainment.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 12:02:24 AM »
Thanks Art. Laura told be Friday we only have 3 places left to fill out of a maximum class of ten. We'll  be assembling and finishing Kibler kits and for the brave souls I'll teach some relief carving as well.. 5 days, Aug 22-26 at the Education building on the NMLRA grounds. Wayne has warmed up all of his shooting stories for evening entertainment.
Having Wayne there is worth the price of admission alone.  I hope you are not paying him in beer and bourbon. ;D
David

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 12:24:06 AM »
I’ll be bringing along some rifles for us all to ponder over. Some of Brooks work as well as a Jud Brennan, David Dodds, Keith Vance, Tom Hall, and Frank House guns. Students be sure to bring teacher an apple!!! Or something like that........
Stop Marxism in America

Offline snapper

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 12:33:57 AM »
Wayne

I have a gun rack built into the front pouch of my cabin that will hold 11 or so guns.   Just for such occasions.

So far it has only held a couple of English sporting rifles.

Fleener

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 12:36:58 AM »
Having Wayne there is worth the price of admission alone.  I hope you are not paying him in beer and bourbon. ;D
David

David, I was typing the exact same thing.  To be around Wayne and Mike at the same time is priceless.  If they  were to put you in the mix,  they could charge double for that trio.   

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 12:45:17 AM »
Wayne

I have a gun rack built into the front pouch of my cabin that will hold 11 or so guns.   Just for such occasions.

So far it has only held a couple of English sporting rifles.

Fleener
We’ll hang some fine American shooting irons on that rascal. I’m guessing that someone is going to have to take pictures of the whole event.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 01:22:59 AM »
"EPIC"  is the only word that comes to mind.....
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 02:26:15 AM »
David

David, I was typing the exact same thing.  To be around Wayne and Mike at the same time is priceless.  If they  were to put you in the mix,  they could charge double for that trio.
Mike,
With all of my August events cancelled, Montana Historical Gunmakers Fair, Washington Historical Gunmakers Fair, CLA and my local clubs rendezvous, I am free for the month of August.  I have cabin fever bad enough that once my van gets out of the shop, I might just load that bad boy up and head east for a sanity break.
David 

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 02:47:56 AM »
Brooks,  you're setting the bar pretty high. .......
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 02:57:44 AM »
Brooks,  you're setting the bar pretty high. .......
It's all relative.... :P

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2020, 02:58:58 AM »
David

Mike,
With all of my August events cancelled, Montana Historical Gunmakers Fair, Washington Historical Gunmakers Fair, CLA and my local clubs rendezvous, I am free for the month of August.  I have cabin fever bad enough that once my van gets out of the shop, I might just load that bad boy up and head east for a sanity break.
David
Let me know when it's happening!   PS, box on the way to you tomorrow....another challenge for your talents. :P

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2020, 01:11:09 AM »
TWO SPOTS LEFT in the class! Let's fill them. :)

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2020, 03:58:28 AM »
Hmmmm, interesting.....Not sure that I can make plans on this short notice because I have some other obligations upcoming, but purely hypothetically, do you suppose it would be possible to have your own wood shaped by Jim before this class begins?   It's less than a month away and the mail does take some time.  I know that you'd have the option of choosing whatever type and grade of wood that you'd like, but I have some nice stuff laid back for pet projects and another Kibler SMR would be one of them.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 04:04:21 AM by GANGGREEN »

Offline snapper

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2020, 04:22:30 AM »
Well, the best way to answer that question is to give Kiblers a call but first a call to the NMLRA and see if any spots are left.

Fleener

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2020, 04:27:56 AM »
Yeah, and I suppose if I wish to do so, I'd better do it tomorrow.  I recently retired and thought how wonderful it would be to have all day to sit around and do the things that I like to do.  Yeah, right.......

Well, the best way to answer that question is to give Kiblers a call but first a call to the NMLRA and see if any spots are left.

Fleener

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2020, 04:25:00 PM »
 We are taking a max of 10 and we have 8 right now, so two spots are open. You'll have to call kibler about kit availability.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2020, 05:23:44 PM »
We are taking a max of 10 and we have 8 right now, so two spots are open. You'll have to call kibler about kit availability.

If someone is interested, we'll be able to provide some kit.  All choices might not be available, but some will be. 

Thanks,
Jim

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2020, 06:22:39 PM »
With Wayne, Dave R, and Mike, it would be fun to just go for the evening entertainment!

Unfortunately, I have Court coming up right in the middle of that week.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2020, 09:31:35 PM »
  Well with these three cohoots...you CAN'T help but have a great time....Gentlemen to the highest degree...!!!
  Oldtravler

Offline snapper

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2020, 04:38:03 PM »
Well the boys are getting packed up and will be heading to Friendship soon.  Class starts on Saturday and with 8 students it should be great time.

Ethan, the NMLRA Marketing Director will be on hand to take pictures and video of the class.  So if you are interested you can check it out on the NMLRA website I assume.   I will check with him to see if he will be posting stuff daily.

Art Fleener
Secretary NMLRA

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2020, 05:05:29 PM »
 We’re also planning some “happy hour” sessions after supper each evening. Going to feature things that may not be included during daily class. Engraving, whitesmithing, moldings, antiquing, etc. These sessions are going to very informal and very hands-on.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2020, 05:58:11 PM »
If I'm going to be on video I better bring my good clothes.....

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2020, 06:03:29 PM »
If I'm going to be on video I better bring my good clothes.....

If you show up looking like that, you’ll be sleeping in the back of your Toyota  >:(
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2020, 08:21:58 PM »
 :o 8)