Author Topic: Lyman Signature Series GPR  (Read 3840 times)

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
Lyman Signature Series GPR
« on: July 12, 2020, 08:16:01 PM »
It seems Lyman has two GPR's now. The Signature Series is made by Pedersoli and is probably their Rocky Mountain version. It's more accurate to the real Hawken with a better shaped stock and leaf spring lock. Of course, workmanship is way way better too.

You'll pay $300 more at $969 for it too.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
Re: Lyman Signature Series GPR
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 09:34:00 PM »
Mods...Might as well remove this thread. It didn't spark any interest.

I wouldn't pay almost a $1000 for a production gun either but I guess there are some that will. Not on this forum. :)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 04:40:35 AM »
I wouldn't either Pete, but I expect there is a market. I once paid over $750.00 for an Indian-made Bess. Yes that was very foolish.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 07:37:59 AM »
I just did some research and found this picture of it:

Looks most like a more plane Jane, rebranded offering of Pedersoli’s Hawken. I hope it comes with an optional plain rear sight as the original Hawkens wouldn’t have had that adjustable rear sight until close to the end of the 19th century mainly coming out of the Gemmer shop.

If Pedersoli had used a plain maple’s stock it would have been a little closer to most originals, too, but that may have jacked the price up even more.

It will I imagine have tremendously better fit and finish over the original GPR. The originals are... well... rustic in this regard, to put it politely.

Kind of an uncommon price bracket for a traditional muzzleloader and that might be a good thing. Certainly seems like it could be a good option for someone wanting a more authentic Hawken of better quality without spending as much on Pedersoli’s other pricier Hawkens or a custom gun.

Offline canadianml1

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 09:40:14 PM »
I own a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken in 54 caliber. I purchased it a long time ago. Fit and finish is very good and it shoots accurately.

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 12:42:48 AM »
If I were going to spend that kind of money for a production gun, I would get the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken for a few hundred more.  I actually purchased a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken in the late 80's from an estate sale.  A top quality gun with a beautiful maple stock. I don't shot it much as I prefer flintlocks, but I take it out once in a while for a trail walk shoot at my club.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 12:48:55 AM »
Pedersoli offered the Rocky Mountain in walnut and maple. I'm guessing the Lyman version is just the walnut version.

I'm not sure what Pedersoli offers now. I always thought his guns were overpriced.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 01:27:34 AM »
They certainly are over priced!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline alacran

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2020, 02:38:08 PM »
Really? Price out the parts for a Hawken , say the Hawken Shop, Don Stith, or TOW. Tell me what you come up with.
Then it has to be put together by some one who is competent, cha ching.
 A grand for a production gun that is fairly authentic and shoots well is really not that high.
A Hawken is outwardly a simple looking gun. However it is a complicated build.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2020, 04:13:49 PM »
Really? Price out the parts for a Hawken , say the Hawken Shop, Don Stith, or TOW. Tell me what you come up with.
ld.

I come up with better parts and a better completed gun.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2020, 04:38:23 PM »
Some 30 years ago, there was a real enthusiasm and marketing push for Hatfield rifles. At that time Hatfield was producing a "Hawken"  [ they termed it a mountain rifle] style rifle and a friend purchased one. It was expensive .   Many folks would be happy with that rifle but he wasn't and I wouldn't be either. Different strokes for different folks.  It's the small things that really end up getting to me , and in the end , I'd be replacing it with something else.  If I only still had the money I've spent over the years on " almost authentic" stuff  ::)   

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2020, 07:50:08 PM »
I'm with Alacran. Once you collect an authentic Stith stock, a pile of good parts, & a good barrel, you're into a Hawken around $750.00. Then try to get a builder to assemble one for $250.00 (unless you can do it).  It makes the Pedersoli product look down right attractive.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2020, 07:58:06 PM »
Roger........You don't think the end result of the Stith kit build would be worth the extra money? I sure do. I've owned a Pedersoli longrifle and wasn't impressed. Now I own a longrifle built by Dennis with quality parts and it's twice the gun that the Pedersoli was.

Sometimes spending a little more is worth it.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2020, 09:49:30 PM »
It find it strange that pedersoli would make the butplate, lock molding, and interior of the trigger guard wrong.  For the money involved you'd think they would buy an authentic original and copy it.  Once documented they could sell the original.  Once the wax molds are made the cost is the same to make the parts  right or wrong.

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2020, 05:08:52 AM »
I have two rifles made from Don's stocks & I paid large chunks of change to have them built up. They are worth every penny I paid.  OTOH, many guys want a Hawken but can't pay that much. Especially young guys with families.  Those are the guys who might be interested in the Pedersoli. You can do a lot worse.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2020, 05:46:04 AM »
Especially young guys with families.  Those are the guys who might be interested in the Pedersoli. You can do a lot worse.
Roger B.

Isn't THAT the truth.
Daryl

Offline alacran

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2020, 04:15:00 PM »
Remember back in the hey day of muzzleloading. There were a lot of junky guns out there. But folks were having fun with them. They wore outfits that might have come out of a Disney character, like Danl Boone, or Davy Crocket.
Then came the stitch Nazis. Telling them how wrong they were and how could they enjoy themselves, wearing such garb. Then came the documenters. Then the juried events.
Well the historical snobbery in my estimation, has been  exclusionary. Some one wanting to get into the sport today is easily intimidated by prices and the level of commitment that current practitioners imply is a must.
  I think the manufacturers  sensed that the black powder craze would wane and with the increase of muzzleloading hunting opportunities in more and more states. They opted to supplying inexpensive guns that made no pretense at being historical. These modern weapons were and are marketed as simpler and easier to use than old grand dads inaccurate and undependable relics.
The point is every time a manufacturer comes up with a new entry level traditional muzzleloader, the first reaction from seasoned shooters is to point out how wanting it is.
Pedersoli makes fine muzzleloaders with varying levels of quality and price points. Frankly I would rather see someone with an old Sharon, CVA or GPR hawken in the field than a scoped plastic stocked inline.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2020, 04:39:35 PM »
When a production gun gets to be over $1400 you start to look around for a better choice.

The young guy with a family can buy a used GPR. He's not the one buying a $1200 Pedersoli.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 05:18:37 PM by OldMtnMan »

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2020, 06:16:00 PM »
Kids now of days pay more than that for a phone. The price is not going to stop someone who wants one.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2020, 07:10:27 PM »
These people were having fun, in the 50's.

Daryl

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2020, 07:11:39 PM »

Is that Miss Kitty in the middle?

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2020, 07:13:32 PM »
That was before production guns too.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2020, 07:26:20 PM »
While it’s true that some can put together a better rifle with the $1000 Worth of parts, most cannot.  Hence all those rifles worth $200 from $1000 worth of parts.
While I don’t want a Lyman, there is definitely a niche for them.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Daryl

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2020, 07:32:42 PM »

Is that Miss Kitty in the middle?

That's the late, Irene Hawkes, of Kalispel Montana. The off centre photo was taken by her now late husband, Lester H. Hawkes.
Both were very close & dear friends of mine, for 20 years until they passed. They were living on Walcott Road, about 10 miles West
of Houston, BC at the time I knew them.  Les was friend with Les Bauska and worked for John Buhmiller for a time, when in Kalispel.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 11:14:42 PM by Daryl »
Daryl