Author Topic: The Don Bruton/Mathew Gillespie rifle  (Read 2628 times)

Offline MuskratMike

The Don Bruton/Mathew Gillespie rifle
« on: July 12, 2020, 10:14:34 PM »
My family settled in the NW corner of North Carolina in the middle to late 1700's and resided there until 1865. I have always wanted a rifle from that period I could shoot and pay homage to my ancestors. I have no information that we ever owned a Gillespie rifle but there is a chance we could have. I kind of fell in love with the original "Mathew Gillespie" rifle depicted in Dennis Glazener's wonderful book "The Gillespie Gun makers of East Fork NC". More on this rifle can also be found on the ALR search engine using Mathew Gillespie. I finally decided I wanted to make an exact copy (or as close as possible) to the original. Dennis went way above the call of duty in helping me with this dream. He put me in contact with Don Bruton (yes that Don Bruton of Boone rifle fame). After many phone and e-mail visits I do believe I wore him down as he consented to build the rife. What pushed him over the edge was our mutual desire not to make a rifle of the same wood, shape and ironwork but ending up looking like the rifle would have when Mathew handed it over to the new owner. No we wanted it to look just as it is today with "serious" patina, dents, dings and some minor rust. This rifle could easily pass now as an original 200 year old rifle. I did ask Don to put his initials on the top flat not "MG" as we are not in any way trying to pass this off as an original but a true "Tribute Rifle". More will come in print about this rifle but I just wanted to bring it to life for the first time on ALR as a personal thank you to Dennis and Don.
The first five photos are of the original the bulk are of the new rifle. It just arrived yesterday and I am going to shoot it tomorrow for the first time. Her name will be Periwinkle (after the finest donkey I have ever been associated with).
I would love to hear your opinions of this fine rifle.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 06:40:09 AM by MuskratMike »
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: The Mathew Gillespie rifle "reborn"
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 11:03:58 PM »
Nice job there Mushrat. Dandy ageing work.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline AZshot

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 11:06:05 PM »
Alright!  Another great Gillespie by Don!  Congratulations, I'm loving my DB rifle. 

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 12:04:13 AM »
Thank you Mr. Brooks but all credit goes to Don Bruton. I just had the vision and checkbook.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 01:16:02 AM »
Thats a good looking vision ya got there. Don did some fine work on it. Id say ya both nailed it ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 01:39:02 AM »
A fine rifle, Mike. You sure chose a fine fellow to build it for. Don always does a great job.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 06:14:08 PM »
She’s a beaut Mike. Thanks for the early peek.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 09:05:40 PM »
Don sure did you right with that rifle.  It's a beauty, and does indeed look period. 

I've enjoyed Don's signature style rifles, and this different branch of the "Bruton family tree" really impresses my eye as well. 

Well done Don!   

God Bless,   Marc

Offline DBoone

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 04:38:30 PM »
Thanks for the kind words on this rifle, everyone.  It has been a real pleasure working with Mike on this project. 

When Mike contacted me about making this particular rifle he didn't know that the Mathew Gillespie rifle that Dennis owns is the one I have absolutely loved for years.  I actually got to hold, study and photograph this wonderful rifle at a Gillespie reunion.....that Dennis so kindly invited me to.....many years ago.

I will also say, without hesitation, that Dennis Glazner is the "Godfather of all things Gillespie".  We are so lucky to have him and his famous book on the Gillespie family and their rifles.  Dennis is my number one mentor and reference on these historical old mountain guns.  His knowledge is awe inspiring.

Muskrat Mike McGuire is a great guy and has a huge heart and endless enthusiasm to match! Lucky is the gun maker who gets to work for him!  Thanks, Mike!

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 07:26:02 PM »
The new rifle is outstanding!  What a beauty, the spirit and image of the original!

I will look forward to reading more about it in print.  Will that be in a future issue of Muzzleloader magazine?

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 09:58:44 PM »
Notchy Bob: Working on the article as we speak. Just have to finish wordsmithing it.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 06:36:50 PM »
Notchy Bob: Working on the article as we speak. Just have to finish wordsmithing it.
Great!  I will look forward to reading it.

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife