Author Topic: Original Horn from Cape Cod  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Dave Marsh

Original Horn from Cape Cod
« on: July 14, 2020, 10:52:32 PM »
I posted this back in June 2018.  A friends 95 year old uncle passed away earlier in the year.  He was a sea captain all his life.  My friend received a bunch of gun related stuff.  He knows I am into black powder so he gave me this powder horn as he was not interested in it and he knew I would be.   It belonged to his uncles grandfather.  I don't know or care about its worth as I intend to keep it as I knew the captain as well.  We took him deer hunting every season until he was 94 and generally he got a deer each year with a scoped unmentionable.  Loved his bourbon and had 2 girlfriends.  He was a great guy.  The reason I had posted it is that the powder in it is a bit strange to me due to its size.  The picture is with FFG next to the larger granulation that was in the horn.  I had never seen cannon or FG powder so I am not sure if this is one of them or something else.   Thought as long as we have a new antique accoutrement section I should repost it here.  If I recall some guys suggested it was used with a signal cannon.  Any further input welcome and thanks. 

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: Original Horn from Cape Cod
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 05:03:19 AM »
Very cool. Thanks for posting again. I like the signal cannon theory.

Offline JPK

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 05:18:36 AM »
Looks like either cannon or blasting grade powder. I’d favor blasting grade due to the random size grains.
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 03:53:41 PM »
David.... That is a very nice old horn that your friend gifted you with. I also like the story about the old fellow you guys took deer hunting every year. I'm sure he appreciated getting to go hunting with all of his younger buddy's. I have a question about the horn, is that a friction fit plug in the butt end of the horn or does it just appear as such. I think the powder is cannon grade. I bought some one time for a mortar me and my son put together.  Sounds like your friend had a long and healthy life style.....  Two girlfriends huh.    ;)

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 04:20:26 PM »
Frank, glad you liked it.  The plug in the base of the horn does not come out.  It is actually carved from the piece of wood the maker put into the base of the horn so it is all one piece.  Pretty cool and it has certainly stood the test of time just like the Captain.  There is a friction slip in carved plug to fill from the tip.  And yes he had quite the life sailing the seven seas, bourbon and ladies.  Two girl friends at age 94.  His wife died rather young (early 60's) and he never remarried.  I think the consensus so far has been cannon powder.  By the way he brought us fresh seafood and we sent him home with venison whether he shot one or not that year.   Thanks for the input.

Dave
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 07:55:07 PM »
Did he do any whaling?  The powder might be for a harpoon gun.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Online Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 08:23:11 PM »
I believe the plug is not part of the base and would come out with more force.  The picture shows evidence of
that.  I'm not suggesting forcing it out though.  Nice old horn and story. Thanks for showing it.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 09:00:08 PM »
Did he do any whaling?  The powder might be for a harpoon gun.
He did not but this belonged to his grandfather and then his father so they may have as both were captains I believe he told me that years ago.  I never asked as I was unaware of the horn until after his death.  Should have asked a lot of questions but did not.  Sorry now.

I believe the plug is not part of the base and would come out with more force.  The picture shows evidence of
that.  I'm not suggesting forcing it out though.  Nice old horn and story. Thanks for showing it.

Good eyes, I got out the magnifying glass and it is indeed a separate plug.  The side I looked at with just my glasses looks like one piece but the other 3 sides you can see it is fit in.  I got it to wiggle a tad but it does not want to come out and of course I agree that I do not want to force it.  Thanks for the input.

Dave
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline chuck

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 01:47:26 AM »
isn't that a nail driven in at an angle to hold the plug in? nice horn

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 02:57:50 AM »
Very cool. And the timing is great,,,, I just happen to be sitting,

on Cape Cod, just short of "Helltown" right now.

Offline Levy

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 06:48:25 PM »
Tar is a pretty common product aboard ship.  Due to its dark color, maybe it had some on it from time to time.  James Levy
James Levy