Author Topic: Antique rifle info needed  (Read 2466 times)

Offline sqrldog

Antique rifle info needed
« on: July 15, 2020, 06:15:44 PM »
I don't own or have a financial interest in this rifle. A friend that does own it asked me about it. I have no experience in antique rifles so I am posting pictures for your thoughts and comments. Tim Cosby

Offline sqrldog

Re: Antique rifle info needed
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 06:21:21 PM »

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 06:23:47 PM »

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 06:31:02 PM »
It's a restocked Joseph Angstadt rifle; where or when it was restocked I couldn't say.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 07:31:04 PM »
It's a great looking rifle. Whoever did the restock was evidently very skilled. Do you have any particulars on it, length, caliber, rifled or smooth bore?

To state the obvious, like 95% + of these old longrifles, it has a reconverted lock. Your friend is a lucky person.
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 07:50:44 PM »
It looks like a really old restock.  Initially my gut was that it was sometime mid-20th century, but the more I look at it, I do see some signs that it may be older.  Very tough to make decisive declarations based only on photos!  It's an interesting piece although my primary interest is in the barrel signature. 
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 07:52:39 PM »
The lock reconversion looks pretty good just based upon an exterior view - I mean, it looks fairly realistic.  So many reconversions are just hideous.

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 08:47:12 PM »
The barrel is 42 and 1/8" or so long .880 at the breech tapers to about .810 then flares a little near the muzzle to .830. The bore is .49/.50 or so rifled. Owner has had this rifle 30 yrs or so not sure where he got it. He may have just bought it thru someone and doesn't really know who owned it before he acquired it.  Your thought are appreciated. The workmanship is good and appears to have some age on it. All parts fit well. Patchbox works etc.

uploading pictures

Offline snapper

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 08:59:43 PM »
For give me, but I am trying to learn......Why do you say that the rifle was restocked?   What are the indicators of this?

Also the lock conversion.   What are the indicators for that as well?

Thanks

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 12:24:38 AM »
Please see the photo below to get an idea of what appear to be the indicators that the lock is probably a reconversion back to flintlock configuration. Of course it's always better to have hands on access to make a definitive analysis.

The reconversion was very well executed. The components used are very possibly old originals. There is quite a bit of filing visible to the cock below the bottom jaw in the photo of the outside of the lock. Not quite sure what that is all about. The bridle may be a replacement.

"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2020, 08:34:58 AM »
Stock architecture is not right for an Angstat rifle. The family had quite unique stock patterns at least the ones I've seen.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2020, 12:50:04 AM »
The cock also appears to be welded in the middle.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2020, 01:42:08 AM »
Guessing reconversion to flint.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2020, 09:14:34 AM »
Sqrldog,

Definitely a Joseph restock, I myself do not have anything to add other than I like it. I would guess it was restocked in the 19th century.

Buck
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 09:19:36 AM by Buck »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2020, 05:26:37 PM »
 I love the folk art quality of the engraving on this rifle. This just shows you that with minimal tools, and engraving knowledge, a very pleasing design can be added to an otherwise uninteresting patchbox.

Hungry Horse