Author Topic: Pook and Pook July 30  (Read 2350 times)

Offline wabeek

Pook and Pook July 30
« on: July 14, 2020, 03:02:15 PM »
Some horns and a flint 19th cent. Lehigh pistol scheduled for July 30 auction at pookandpook.com!

Offline cshirsch

Re: Pook and Pook July 30
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 05:24:37 PM »
I am very skeptical of that pistol.  The lock plate is from a kit that Dixie Gun Works sold in the 70s and the cock and frizzen spring is wrong.  Beware.

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 05:28:27 PM »
Also, Pook & Pook does not have in house shipping.  You have to call an outside shipping source and it costs a lot!  I know, I won an auction with them.  It's a real pain and costs way too much.

Online cable

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 08:13:25 PM »
Also, Pook & Pook does not have in house shipping.  You have to call an outside shipping source and it costs a lot!  I know, I won an auction with them.  It's a real pain and costs way too much.

I had that experience ..twice !!!    shipping was beyond unreasonable and really was preposterous !!

never again.

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 08:20:05 PM »

I had that experience ..twice !!!    shipping was beyond unreasonable and really was preposterous !!

never again.

I recently called them and asked if they had an in-house shipping department yet.  They said no and I told them that I will never bid on any of their auctions until they do.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 10:46:05 PM »

never again.

I recently called them and asked if they had an in-house shipping department yet.  They said no and I told them that I will never bid on any of their auctions until they do.

Yeah, I always like in house shipping..  always kind of stressful getting hold of a shipping company and have them go pick it up. I did that several times, but not real comfortable with it.  Probably will do it again if there is something I can't live without. 

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 01:51:54 AM »

never again.

How much is unreasonable and preposterous, and from where to where?
Just curious.
John Robbins

Online cable

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 08:19:36 PM »

never again.

How much is unreasonable and preposterous, and from where to where?
Just curious.

a single handgun, shipped via fedex or ups [ they gave me the choice]  from Pennsylvania to anchorage Alaska  ...they initially wanted about 230$  then eventually did it for not quite  100$ less.  the exact fedex cost  for 'overnight'  which is about 2 days really ] was 52.00$  I called and check with fedex.

never again. ! 

in fact, if they had an FFL sending it, it could have come USPS for approximately 35.00$
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 08:23:11 PM by cable »

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 10:26:31 PM »
Thanks! Agreed, that's ridiculous!  :o
John Robbins

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2020, 08:13:35 PM »
Kudos to Chris Hirsch for his comments to Pook & Pook.  Seems to me that any outfit who dabbles in selling many, many objects, such as Pook & Pook, would have easily arranged shipping.  I cannot imagine the difficulties that Chris - and others living in Europe and elsewhere - has with international shipping.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 11:38:41 PM »
Kudos to Chris Hirsch for his comments to Pook & Pook.  Seems to me that any outfit who dabbles in selling many, many objects, such as Pook & Pook, would have easily arranged shipping.  I cannot imagine the difficulties that Chris - and others living in Europe and elsewhere - has with international shipping.

I often thought about participating  in European auctions, they have some real neat old guns at reasonable prices.   Feared the shipping issues.  I did buy an optic from  a company in Slovenia  a few months back.  From time I placed order until it was sitting on my porch was 64 hours.  That was insane fast IMO.

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 11:57:58 PM »

I often thought about participating  in European auctions, they have some real neat old guns at reasonable prices.   Feared the shipping issues.  I did buy an optic from  a company in Slovenia  a few months back.  From time I placed order until it was sitting on my porch was 64 hours.  That was insane fast IMO.

It was ridiculous!