Author Topic: Lets See Your Eagle  (Read 7719 times)

Offline louieparker

Re: Lets See Your Eagle
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2020, 05:51:01 PM »
hornturner.....I like your eagle !.  I believe I examined that about three years ago.  Good to see it again.

Adrie.... I don't think I have any photos of the miniature. If I do they are paper.. If I can get the wife to take some I will send to you....I like to think I have learned a lot since the sixties.. But not enough to make me want to do another miniature...  Louie

Offline Bob D

• Starting Member
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2020, 06:28:12 PM »
Early Peter Dormayer (Dunmeyer, etc)

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2020, 08:52:46 PM »
Fun thread!   :-) 

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2020, 10:16:35 PM »
Stopped by Homerifle's  house today.  We got to talking about this thread, so here is some of his eagles.  All antique except the bottom two, he made them. 

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2020, 11:01:34 PM »
Early Peter Dorm Ayer (Dunmeyer, etc)

The Dormeyer and Mills eagles are quite similar
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Bob D

• Starting Member
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2020, 06:38:19 AM »
Later Peter Dormayer  (Dunmeyer, etc.) Eagle.

Shreck... I noted the resemblance also when I saw the postings  by you and Mark.   I have seen the style plate in this posting two times: this one from a fellow collector's rifle and the other from Dr. Whisker's first book about Bedford, Somerset and Fulton County Gunsmiths.  You will note this one is initialed.  Dr. Whisker indicated that the plate in his book was from a poorly restocked rifle that also had a J. D. initialed hand made lock.  I call this type of eagle plate later because Jonathan was not involved in the business until several years after the move to Somerset County.  Whiskers plate has Peters signature on it.

I have seen the previously posted plate on seven of Peter's rifles; all of which were more characteristically Bedford than Somerset. 

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2020, 07:44:52 PM »
I've been thinking about an Eagle plate for the cheek rest of my future Hawken build. I think this thread has sealed it as a fact. My Eagle will look like my avatar.
Psalms 144

Offline Loudy

« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2020, 10:30:56 PM »
Hello Louie,

I've enjoyed seeing all the great eagles!  Here is an eagle cheekrest inlay by Wilhelm "William" Laudenslager. 

Loudy

Offline louieparker

« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2020, 12:32:27 AM »
Loudy  Where have you been ???  Haven't seen you in a Coons age !

Thanks for the eagle.Another great example for our collection....Louie

Offline altankhan

• Starting Member
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2020, 02:58:18 PM »
N. Lewis
Maker
Troy, NY
(Nelson Lewis)

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2020, 12:43:17 AM »
A customer brought into my muzzle loading shop, his family heirloom for help to identify it about 11 years ago. Other than being a late flintlock converted to percussion, it offered a number of "puzzles". I took the liberty of taking a couple dozen photos for posterity, which came in handy for study.

I want to start a new post in hopes of identifying the initials on the barrel and architecture.
My customer said his family was in WV and the rifle came from there, which doesn't necessarily mean it was made in WV.

My first thought in seeing this eagle was Western Native-American influence on the design. I believe y'all will agree that the deer inlay came after and by a less experienced hand in detail work, or the same gunmaker getting up in age, whose eyes were going "south". The  engraving on the eagle's wings is very precise. I've seen a fair number of antique longrifles, but I've never seen this style of an eagle. I hope you have.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2020, 03:12:56 AM »
Have no idea if it's a West Va rifle or not but have seen similiar acorn inlay on WV rifles
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2020, 07:25:21 PM »
Do you think the deer is original to the rifle?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline OLUT

« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2020, 08:26:37 PM »
I had my camera out so I took a photo of some late eagle inlays (1830 to 1850 era) ....definitely not the artistic, patriotic motif of earlier days !

Offline Howard

« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2020, 11:57:23 PM »

Online homerifle

« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2020, 01:51:19 AM »
Dang, that's nice Gene! That looks a lot like an Ohio Glaze rifle!

Offline steg49

« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2020, 07:30:23 AM »
This is a nice eagle patch box, inside of lid labeled Remington llion N.Y.  Rifle is 32 cal.  steg49

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2020, 09:30:35 PM »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2020, 02:47:40 AM »
Last winter, I made a Verner companion pistol to accompany my rifle.  the original has this curious double headed eagle on the back of the wrist.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2020, 04:48:37 AM »
My favorite Eagles.

"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964