Author Topic: Left hand Goulcher flintlock  (Read 3760 times)

Offline scottmc

Left hand Goulcher flintlock
« on: July 23, 2020, 10:38:07 PM »
Some of you may remember my ad a few months ago asking for someone to assemble a set of Chris Hirsch castings.  Well, that someone answered the call and I now have (probably the only left hand goulcher repro in the world 😁) a finished lock.  The man who did the assembly is obviously very talented and did a great job with these casting.  That person is Clint Wright.  Hopefully, he'll chime in here on his thoughts.
This lock, as it comes, is not set up for a fly since the original wasnt.  Clint was able to use a siler tumbler and main spring and it now has a fly.

This lock will be used on my next build which will be a loose copy of a Matthew Gillespie with the square grease hole.  For a lefty like myself, this lock is as good as it gets for a SMR build.

Remember Paoli!

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
Re: Left hand Goulcher flintlock
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 02:52:08 AM »
This is sweet!! Now all we need is for a right hander lock to get produced. Perfect for most SMR builds. Good job. Thanks, Dave F 8) 8)

Offline BJH

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 02:53:00 AM »
Cool beans! There’s definitely a need for those locks, right and left hand. Goulcher locks were used a lot on later guns. And would be a correct choice on a lot of early nineteenth century guns built on this side of the pond. BJH
BJH

Offline scottmc

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 02:56:35 AM »
I can tell you from talking with Chris that he is desperately looking for an original right hand golcher flintlock.  If he lands one, he will also start casting it as well.  Sounds like they are as hard as hens teeth to find.
Remember Paoli!

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 08:33:52 PM »
I have a converted flintlock/percussion with original innards, no pan,but it is obvious what it was/is. Heres a pic. Best I can do. Dave 8) 8)

Offline scottmc

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 09:18:31 PM »
It's tough for me to see but is lick marked Golcher?  The plate sure looks like it.  Is it a southern rifle?
Remember Paoli!

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 06:22:05 PM »
yes it is marked Golcher,just hard to see in this pic. Rifle is southern style,built from antique parts. I suppose I should start a thread on it,sorta think I did back when I built it. Dave F

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 06:48:32 PM »
I have an original lock that is same profile as the Goulcher but is marked W.S.&G. Donnan  Richmond VA. It is in great condition.  Maybe he could use it as a basis for making molds..  My original Goulcher Has the nose broken off the plate and the Frizzen is missing.  Not smart enough to post pictures on this site. I could email pictures to someone if interested
Don

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2020, 06:54:12 PM »
I think a little careful filing on the L&R Small Manton/Bailes lock plate would
give the same effect.I have done this with that lock and the similar Nock I
made for the German market and it looked good and back then I could get
a double throated cock from Jerry Devaudreuil in Ohio to go with it.
I have no intentions to do this again but an alternative IS available if anyone
wants to tackle it.
Bob Roller

Offline Clint

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 02:09:19 AM »
Early on in this lock project, Scott and I talked about double set triggers. Before he sent me the casting set, I bought a left hand tumbler for an L&R lock. The tumbler looked OK and it was cut for a fly. I was disturbed by the fact that the hole for the cock screw was cast in, and in light of a previous post about casting flaws I felt that casting the hole was a bad move. In the end the spring lever was way too far out of line with the cocking notches to be used. The Golcher tumbler is an accurate casting, taken directly from a Golcher original. Anyone who has taken apart old shotgun locks or mid nineteenth century hardware store locks might have noticed that they would never pass Jim Chambers' inspection. These locks were filed, screwed together, hardened and sold. Many Pittsburg percussion locks were sold and used without half cock notches. Having said that, I will also say that These old locks were used and often used hard. The Golcher thumbler didn't have quite enough metal to get the two journal surfaces truly round and concentric. If I were making this lock for myself, I might have pushed a little harder to make it work, but I felt that time, for one thing, was not on my side. The most straightforward solution was a left hand Siler tumbler and mainspring.
     In order to make the siler parts work with this lock, I needed to reclock the square hole in the flintcock. I did this by drilling the square hole and threading it for a 7/16" fine thread. I screwed a plug into the hole and cut it off with about one sixteenth standout on both sides of the flint cock. I used the half cock notch and the sear to  clock the tumbler and rotated the flint cock to it's proper attitude, making sure that the hammer down position wouldn't lose the mailspring. The rest of the lock pretty much went together with #4 screws and minimal headaches. I did carbon pack harden the frizzen because it is made from 6150 steel. 6150 has manganese and vanadium in it which makes it pretty tough, but not spark hard IMHO. I also water hardened the frizzen.
Overall I would say the Left Hand Golcher is not a beginner lock but it is also not an especially difficult lock to build, especially with the siler tumbler. The Rifle Shoppe Has a small 'v' pan lock with a double throat flint cock which is a little smaller than the Golcher , If you are looking for a right hand Southern lock. It is called the HENRY lock and I put one on a .32 cal. That rifle lights off every time the trigger is pulled. Good luck and have fun.
Clint

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2020, 09:44:49 PM »
I am working molds for a right hand Golcher style flintlock at this time.  Hope to have the castings early in 2021.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2020, 01:01:54 AM »
I was hoping to not have to see this again.
Scott, would you take a set of eye teeth in trade?!?
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2020, 01:12:52 AM »
Yep, seen it rite off !! here we go !!  8) 8)

Offline scottmc

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2020, 01:31:21 AM »
Too late for the trade.  The lock is in the wood😁
Remember Paoli!

Offline Clint

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2020, 06:32:36 AM »
If you are adventuresom and want a nice right hand southern lock, take a look at TRS "Henry" lock. The Henry is only about 4" long if I remember right, it has a double throat flint cock and a round tail. I built one for my daughter's .32 cal and it waas not overly difficult to put together. It is also a very fast lock.
CW

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2022, 05:00:15 PM »
I have the castings in stock for this lock.  The castings are smooth with no engraving.

share album on facebook

www.texasguntrade.com

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2022, 06:15:31 PM »
I have the castings in stock for this lock.  The castings are smooth with no engraving.

share album on facebook

www.texasguntrade.com
This is the one I was thinking about but spasms in my lower back won't allow me to stand for long periods of time
and the medicine is helpful but is a sedative which I don't like.It's called Tizanadine and right now I am barely functional.
I take no meds for anything so this stuff hits me harder than many who have a coffee table covered with pill bottles.
One left and no more.
Bob Roller

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2022, 06:23:20 PM »

share album on facebook

www.texasguntrade.com
This is the one I was thinking about but spasms in my lower back won't allow me to stand for long periods of time
and the medicine is helpful but is a sedative which I don't like.It's called Tizanadine and right now I am barely functional.
I take no meds for anything so this stuff hits me harder than many who have a coffee table covered with pill bottles.
One left and no more.
Bob Roller

So sorry to hear about that Bob.  I hope you improve soon.  CH

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2022, 01:25:52 AM »
During my lock making days I think I made perhaps 8 left hand flintlocks using the L&R Small Manton external parts and maybe ONE on their Durs Egg externals.For me,the LH locks required slowing down a bit but were not really harder to make.The most labor intensive locks were a pair of "4 pin" Stantons for a double rifle.They were never used and I talked to the man that owns them and they are still new and unused.That was an expensive job and was not repeated.At this point in time I don't think I can stand at the bench long enough to make any lock and sitting is not an option for me.
Bob Roller                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Offline Clint

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2022, 12:03:59 AM »
The lock that Chris has pictured is his Elwell lock. I started to build this lock last summer, but gates and railings got in the way. I have the lock and a couple others nearly built and I would reccomend this lock as a first build for someone who wanted to build one. All the screws I used are #4 blanks from Brownells and I think the frizzen screw is a #6. As ALWAYS I carbon pack the parts and water harden them.

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2023, 09:42:39 PM »
The lock that Chris has pictured is his Elwell lock. I started to build this lock last summer, but gates and railings got in the way. I have the lock and a couple others nearly built and I would reccomend this lock as a first build for someone who wanted to build one. All the screws I used are #4 blanks from Brownells and I think the frizzen screw is a #6. As ALWAYS I carbon pack the parts and water harden them.

Thanks