Author Topic: Pictures of Bison Horn Caplet on SMR  (Read 1367 times)

Offline canadianml1

Pictures of Bison Horn Caplet on SMR
« on: July 26, 2020, 08:10:05 PM »
The following are pic's of my Bison Horn caplet installation on my Kibler smr. The thickest part of the stock at the muzzle end is 0.140 inches. The brass brads are #2-56 brass machine screws (.084 inches diameter)with a flute filed in the tip so that the brads cut their own thread as they are turned into a .079 diameter hole thru the horn and .2 inches into the walnut stock. They got a dab of epoxy before being screwed in. Then the head was cut off then filed flush. Pic's are best I could do.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 08:19:35 PM by canadianml1 »

Offline martin9

Re: Pictures of Bison Horn Caplet on SMR
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 02:41:00 PM »
I like that. I've been trying to decide on whether to do a poured pewter cap on a tennessee rifle I'm finishing up. I really can't decide if I like pewter caps or not to be honest.  AFter seeing this I think I might do one of these. Thanks!

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 03:54:29 AM »
I like it as well and while it's not rocket science, I wouldn't mind seeing a tutorial on some muzzle caps of horn, bone or hardwood.   I've got a source of African blackwood (I guess that's really a thing) and thought it would be cool for muzzle caps or especially end caps on half-stock rifles.

Offline canadianml1

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 04:56:15 AM »
I have some 1/16 inch ebony and considered it for use as the subject caplet but my experience in trying to inlet it in the past was unsuccessful.....it is just too frangible and chips too easily. I don't know about the exotic wood that you are thinking of but grain size needs  to be very small and the wood very hard or you may have trouble working with it. I would try a test piece first to see how you can work with it.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 06:48:45 AM by canadianml1 »

Offline FDR

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 08:42:11 PM »
everything you ever wanted to know about African Blackwood is here.
https://www.wood-database.com/african-blackwood/
It makes a good substitute for ebony, is dense and not as bridle as ebony. It is widely used in musical instruments.

Fred