Author Topic: skeleton stocks and poaching guns  (Read 2264 times)

Offline bob in the woods

skeleton stocks and poaching guns
« on: July 26, 2020, 09:32:44 PM »
I'm certain that I have seen photos of the short barrelled "poacher's " guns with skeleton stocks posted here in the past, but my attempts at finding them through "search" hasn't produced anything.
Does anyone recall these or have any information on such firearms?
Not intending any political comment, but I was building a 12 in barrelled .62 smoothbore pistol for someone , and due to the recent Canadian gov't professed views on handguns, they now want it changed to a shoulder type weapon , and so escape handgun classification. The idea of a skeleton stock gun came up, which I think would be viable use of the barrel.

Offline WKevinD

Re: skeleton stocks and poaching guns
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 11:42:59 PM »
I have some photos of originals and data that I'll dig up. They are on my laptop.
Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 12:29:47 AM »
Bob, This is what I found so far and was part of my study.

I built a takedown but without a skeleton stock

PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 05:47:35 AM »
Guys,

Here are some photos of original skeleton stocks and take down stocks.  There are a lot more.

Here is one I made.

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 05:49:57 AM »

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 03:33:09 PM »
Here is a link to some very short barreled jaeger type rifles.

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=46794.msg460512#msg460512

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 03:47:14 PM »
Wow !  Thanks, everyone  :)     James, that first photo with the shoulder stocked pistol is exactly what I'm looking at for this project.  The pistol is already stocked, so I want to alter it as per your example.
Because of the laws here, I'll be permanently attaching the skeleton stock .
All of the examples shown by those who posted are wonderful.  I'm thinking I just might want to build one of these for myself !

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 04:20:58 PM »
I'm a little bit into a nice Jaeger, 29.5" barrel, .62 cal.  I am sure I would enjoy a shorter barrel rifle or smoothbore just as much.  I'll probably be hunting from a wheel chair before too long, and a shorter Jaeger stutzen would be easier to reload.  About 16" would suit me well.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 04:26:39 PM »
Folks,
As a generalization, none of these were made as poacher's guns.  Yes, we do see this written about light take-down arms, but poachers never had the money or  standing to commission a gunmaker to produce something of this kind.
If a poacher wanted a short gun, easily hidden he'd saw it down himself.
These were often coach  guns, light and easy and short  to transport, yet effective if required against highwaymen.
Like I said, this is a generalization.
Must get cracking, hay is drying!

Richard.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 05:43:29 PM »
Folks,
As a generalization, none of these were made as poacher's guns.  Yes, we do see this written about light take-down arms, but poachers never had the money or  standing to commission a gunmaker to produce something of this kind.
If a poacher wanted a short gun, easily hidden he'd saw it down himself.
These were often coach  guns, light and easy and short  to transport, yet effective if required against highwaymen.
Like I said, this is a generalization.
Must get cracking, hay is drying!
Hi Richard.   Perhaps I should refer to these as skeleton stocked canoe guns  ;D
Richard.

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 06:09:45 PM »
Guys,

One way that the detachable shoulder stock pistol was made was using a quarter turn fastener joint.  This could be added to an existing pistol stock.  Here are some photos.  A dab of epoxy could make the joint "permanent".

By the way, I tried to sell this pistol earlier, but no takers.

Jim

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2020, 06:05:05 PM »
James, in the third picture down in you first photo post, what is the spring-like piece going forward of the butt?
Those ARE marvelous, and expensive, take down guns, and I am sure that there are many ways of joining the two parts.  Totally fascinating, given the lack of precision non-electric power tools.  Heck, even with the newer tools they are great!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 05:39:53 AM »
Craig,

Thanks for the question, this is the second major mechanism for attaching the shoulder stock.  It uses a rectangular mechanism with a spring catch.  The laid back "trigger" under the stock will release the spring catch.  I have never made a shoulder stock using this mechanism, so I just know a little about it.  Here are some photos of the "male" part of the mechanism.

And here are some photos of the "female" part of the mechanism.

Hey, why don't you make one of these and let us know the result!

Jim