Author Topic: ALR/CLA get together pics  (Read 6110 times)

chapmans

ALR/CLA get together pics
« on: August 16, 2009, 06:40:33 PM »
  Here are some pics of the ALR get together on Fri.  What a wonderful show.

Left to right Acer (Tom Curran), Ken Guy (Ken Guy), Dennis Glazener (Dennis Glazener)

Feel free to introduce yourselves,
   Regards, Steve Chapman
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 05:31:20 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: ALR/CLA get together pics
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 07:12:51 PM »
Steve,
Thanks for posting pictures of the gathering.  I was so busy checking out Ken's garage sale find and Tim's bag full of those great banded horns that I forgot to take any pictures!  It was great to see everyone again.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

brokenflint

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 10:35:48 PM »
Enjoyed meeting ya all and putting a face with the handle, look forward to seeing ya again next year.  This was the first time I had attended the CLA show and it blew my socks off.  I want to thank all the collectors who allowed me to handle pieces I had some interest in, this was greatly appreciated and added to my understanding of the finer details not so readily visible in photos.  On the down side I bought more parts and added to the ever growing work list LOL

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 12:37:11 AM »
  It was nice to put faces with names, I was surprised at how many of us were there. There were quite a few more that were busy at their tables too.
  Thanks for the pics Steve, I too have some that I need to get off the camera and post.

Tim C.

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 12:41:45 AM »
Steve Chapman and I rode together and tried to get everyone who came to the ALR meeting.  Below are the ones I took.  I hope we got everybody.

If these photos help sell Don's barn gun maybe I'll get a commission. :)  I have more pics of ALR fellows who will be included with pics from the rooms upstairs.  They're coming later.

Regards,
Pletch
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 12:44:40 AM by Larry Pletcher »
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 02:31:54 AM »
Those are great Larry.  Can't get enough of that....! 
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 03:35:07 AM »
Good pictures Larry............for some reason that barn gun didn't sell, I think it looks too "new".    I guess I'll have to age
it up a bit this week.   Actually, I'm kind of glad I didn't sell it, I have a list of guys waiting here at home.  Overall, it was
a great show once again.   It was really surprising how many "ALR" shirts you would see at the show..........Don

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 06:16:42 PM »
I enjoyed getting to meet everyone that showed up for the gathering, Got to see a great Soddy Daisy rifle that Ken Guy had with him, got to handle Don's barn gun, saw some nice horns and handmade shot bags.  It was my first time at the show and the whole thing was just awesome.

I picked up a couple of original guns from separate vendors, both by J. H. Johnston of Great Western Gun Works, one is a .30 cal halfstock percussion rifle and the other is a double 10 guage shotgun.  I'll post pics of them when I get the opportunity.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 06:24:03 PM by SquirrelHeart »
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 04:46:51 PM »
I wish I could have met up with you guys down stairs but it was really nice talking with a bunch of you folks at my table. It is nice to put faces with the names.
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Levy

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 04:56:01 PM »
I got to the meeting a little late, but enjoyed Ken Guy's new find and holding Don's latest barn gun.  I also spent some time looking throught the box of beautiful horns that Tim Crosby had made.  The show was great, but with a table and my slow pace, I never really got into the old main display room.  It was great putting faces with names.

James Levy

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 08:21:18 PM »
I got didn't make it down there for the meeting, but it was nice to see everyone and meet some that I hadn't met before. Outstanding show.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 08:22:03 PM by cwallingford »

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 08:30:12 AM »
I'm the one with the orange and whit striped shirt and grey shorts.  I have to agree with Charles W., the show was outstanding!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 08:32:39 AM by SquirrelHeart »
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Online AMartin

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 01:42:10 PM »
Dang ....... I always forget or get sidetracked at the show to git down to the meeting ........ I need a good reminder like Eric or Don to say hey ....... lets take a walk !!!

Allen

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 03:44:37 PM »
Sold that barn gun this week to a local, he was waiting his turn but it arrived earlier than he expected.....loves it.   I am
now working on that Beck rifle, have worked my way up to the entry pipe and the rest of the thimbles.   Everything back
of that has been shaped, will also have to shape the forend.   Looks like it will be a long, slender gun with that octagon
to round barrel.   When Eric gets back I'll have him take some pictures, along with some pictures of the Frank-John House
gun....you'll like that.   Eric is spending a few days down with Frank Willis, learning some new pointers on bag making,
can't wait to see what he learns...................Don