Author Topic: Halfstock Fowler's Smoothbore's  (Read 1115 times)

Offline kudu

Halfstock Fowler's Smoothbore's
« on: July 28, 2020, 12:05:16 AM »
Im thinking of building a Halfstock Smoothbore  shorter Barrel about 38" But "Thick" side walls! about 20-16ga anybody got any Pic's?

Just a simple working/shooting Gun with a chambers Queen Ann lock. Iron Furniture.

I want the Barrel Oct to Round - But short on the length of the Octagonal portion, I think I may
solder on thimbels or maybe even a under rib?

Guess I Gotta Find a Barrel First!

Offline Daryl

Re: Halfstock Fowler's Smoothbore's
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 12:17:47 AM »
Here is a 1/2 stock fowler with 31" bl. 1.10" at the breech, in 20 bore.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 10:56:59 PM »
The lock you mention is too small. Look at the Early Ketland or Colonial Virginia.
Seems a good place for a wooden half rib.

Offline kudu

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 01:08:18 AM »
Looks nice Daryl your brother make it?
Just about exactly what i want, maybe a different trigger gaurd other wise nice.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 01:37:28 AM »
This gun was built by a fellow named Hunkeler.  Other than that, I know little about the gun, other that what it likes.
I do not know the make of the barrel, either. It has a modern choke, between IMP Cylinder & modified.

As a 1/2 stock, this gun fits very well and swings quickly. It has excellent ergonomics. No need to look at the bead, just
the bird, cover it, just past/BOOM! dead bird.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 02:35:13 AM »
German fowling pieces were normally half-stocked, with thimbles soldered directly to the barrel. I've never seen a repro of one, though.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 04:04:07 PM »
Kudu,

If you plan on using an early round-faced lock, you need to do some careful figuring.
What we see in later half -stocks was not what we see in earlier ones with rounded lock-plates.

William Bailes is generally attributed with inventing the under rib, so we are looking at the 1760's  at any rate.  Though he Was making guns in the 1750's.
Before that, and indeed later than that in some cases,  we see a  different type of for-end-end cap/entry pipe arrangement., (see below).

This picture is of a gun I missed at auction some years ago.
Couple more photos of specifics;

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 07:12:55 PM »
Kudu, This is a 16 Ga. half stock octagon to round, with a wooden rib, a bit longer than you plan to do by about 10".

Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln