Author Topic: Possibly a ky made rifle  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Foxtrot52

• Starting Member
Possibly a ky made rifle
« on: July 28, 2020, 06:32:36 PM »
Just finished some restoration work for a friend (mainly the lock). This rifle does not belong to me. Any thoughts on the possible maker ? Possibly A.P. McDermott just a guess. Any thoughts on the lock ? The notch for the drum looks like it was sawed out with a hacksaw ! 😀 also hole in front of the lock plate. Just wondering if it’s original percussion. Also thoughts on protrusions on muzzle end of barrel. Thanks, Jeff

« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 07:47:02 PM by Foxtrot52 »

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Possibly a ky made rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 07:11:10 PM »
 My guess is that the lock is an old replacement. It doesn’t seem to fit very well around the drum. The extra hole on the forward end is either a misdrilled forward lock bolt hole, or a pin hole for a different mainspring.

Hungry Horse

Offline louieparker

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 07:47:38 PM »
foxtrot52,,,,,My thinking is the barrel could have been cut back a bit at the breech.. As the drum set farther forward than I would expect on an original rifle..  Also the drum  looks modern,,  This made it necessary to cut out the front of the old drum recess...The extra hole could be for the first spring. It does seem to a little further forward than normal. Yes it is original percussion...The protrusions on the front of the barrel could be to support a shade.It would have rested on these in front and the stock in the rear.. Just my opinion, as you know everyone has one..LP

Offline Foxtrot52

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 07:58:36 PM »
I replaced the drum original was broken

Offline Foxtrot52

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 08:17:14 PM »

Offline Foxtrot52

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 08:20:59 PM »
A better pic of lock area, drum cutout is rough and poor fitting.

Offline louieparker

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 10:53:58 PM »
i may be completely wrong.  But what I was trying to say, If the barrel was cut off an inch the  drum would have to be relocated on the barrel. If not re positioned exactly the same distance from the breech it would not fit into lock, So they hacked out the  front of the drum opening.
Hard to tell for sure from the photo, has there been welding on the front end of the lock.

Offline Foxtrot52

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 11:31:01 PM »
Not as I can tell, the tang has been completely broken off the breech plug. It’s kind of hard to explain but where the tang is broken it has been filed at an angle to just slide under rest of the tang sort of like a hooked breech

Offline Foxtrot52

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 11:43:08 PM »
You may be right about it being cut off at the breech. Had a second look i can see where the barrel rib was cut off on the breech end.

dogbest

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 01:12:25 AM »
I have seen several rifles with that type of adjustable rear sight.
Is that a modern replacement?

Offline Foxtrot52

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 01:55:19 AM »
I don’t think so, the fellow that owns this rifle it was his great great grandfather’s. South central ky.