Author Topic: Few questions on A. Schweitzer guns from Chambersburg  (Read 2111 times)

Offline far55

Few questions on A. Schweitzer guns from Chambersburg
« on: July 31, 2020, 04:42:16 AM »
I am contemplating a build based on Schweitzers  Franklin County guns after he moved to Chambersburg about 1804-5. What I am finding in the books I have are his Lancaster rifles, and very few, if any measurements.  Did his furniture change to a slimmer style when he moved, or did he continue to use his Lancaster patterns? Can anyone who has access to one help me with a few measurements on the wrist, butt, etc. ? I checked with the Franklin County Historical Society with no luck there. I have found a few photos online from past auctions, but I do not know how long they will remain. I am in south central Pa., just north of Harrisburg. I have not checked with the State Museum there yet. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Roland Finkenbinder

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Re: Few questions on A. Schweitzer guns from Chambersburg
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 01:56:16 PM »
Check your personal mail...Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 02:59:43 PM »
Kentucky Rifles & Pistols 1750-1850 by James Johnson has several photos of Schweitzer rifles with barrel lengths and a few other dimensions given. I copied one of the photos and, using the barrel length as a guide, blew it up to full size. Printed it out - in sections since my printer is too small to do it in one shot - and used it as a pattern. Doesn't help with widths of anything, but it's a start.

I understand the state museum in Harrisburg has several long rifles in the their collection but I have not seen them and I don't know if they have  any Schweitzers. I sent them several emails trying to get a look at the collection - none were on display at the time - but got not answers. Good luck.

By the way, I used to get in some great small mouth fishing in the Susquehanna near Marysville and had some very good days trout fishing on Clark's Creek. Beautiful part on the state.

Dale H

Offline far55

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 07:10:46 PM »
Thanks, Dale, I will have to check out that book, that is one I do not have.

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 09:32:56 PM »
My memory must be failing me. I just went back and checked out the book, and there are only two Schweitzer rifles and one of them is an earlier rifle from the Lancaster school.

The other, however, is a very nice slender rifle from Chambersburg. It is the one I have chosen as the basis for my build. If you like, I can email you the image I copied.

Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in it's Golden Age has photos of four more of his Chambersburg rifles, but not much in the way of dimensions.

Dale H

Offline far55

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 11:19:29 PM »
Yes, I have that book and was just looking at those rifles last night. I will probably pick and choose the features that I like from each. I thought I remembered seeing one somewhere with a nice cameo wrist. I will send you a PM

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 04:18:16 AM »
Whisker's "Gunsmiths of Adams, Franklin and Cumberland Counties" has several pictures of Abraham Schweitzer pieces, but no dimensions.

"Masterpieces of the American Longrifle, The Joe Kindig Jr Collection" has color photos of one rifle and basic dimensions.
OAL: 59-3/4"; Octagonal Barrel: 44-1/2"; Bore: Smooth; Caliber: 50; Dia at Breech: 1"; Trigger Pull 13 -1/4"; Buttstock Width: 1-3/8"
Kunk

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 01:07:06 PM »
A fine Schweitzer I once owned and posted about here several years ago.  I am saddened that my pictures went zapped from the post but if you scroll down in this thread I did manage to list many of that rifles dimensions and attributes. 

I will also dig through my computer photos and try to bring back what I can find.   

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=30249.msg289858#msg289858
Joel Hall

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 01:37:09 PM »
042-zps5f5e1333" border="0

044-zpsf9a7f29e" border="0

053-zpse7803305" border="0

045-zps0aac5780" border="0

052-zpsf4a7c831" border="0

065-zps31b51716" border="0

Joel Hall

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 01:47:44 PM »
Here is the RIA auction listing for this very rifle.  It includes several dimensions.   Joel

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/65/210/kentucky-percussion-rifle-50-percussion
Joel Hall

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 01:52:22 PM »
Just one more photo, which makes me think this rifle was converted to percussion from flintlock using a very sophisticated breech block.  The longer later barrel tang goes through the tang carving.

061-zps55fb6460" border="0
Joel Hall

Offline far55

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 10:06:09 PM »
Thanks, Karl, Yes I have the masterpieces book and did notice the 1-3/8" but width. It sure would be most helpful for builders if future books on longrifles would have the measurements as featured in RCA I & II   MajorJoel, Thank you for the photos and reference to the past posts on this forum. The drop and profile on that rifle is almost approaching that on a Bedford, so he had adapted to the regional style by then. I like that a lot. Thanks again, Roland

Offline acorn20

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2020, 07:47:24 AM »
I might be able to put you in touch with a few individuals that own Schweitzer rifles.  Would you be willing to travel to Chambersburg to measure them?

Dan
Dan Akers

Offline far55

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2020, 04:22:41 AM »
Dan, P.M. sent

Offline far55

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2020, 05:13:09 PM »
Dan, Did you get my PM. ? It is not showing up on my sent messages, Roland