Author Topic: Cant Block for Central Pennsylvania Target Rifle?  (Read 2428 times)

Offline Loudy

Cant Block for Central Pennsylvania Target Rifle?
« on: July 31, 2020, 09:07:53 PM »
Below is a photo of the muzzle end of a heavy-barrelled percussion target rifle (ca. 1850) from Union/Snyder County, PA.  At one time it appears to have had a removable cant block mounted to the forestock for stabilization on a shooting bench.  Sure would like to see an example of what this block originally looked like.  Where these blocks typically made of wood or metal?  Did the ramrod pass through the block, or was the ramrod removed at the shooting range prior to mounting the block?  On long-barreled Tennessee "Chunk" guns I've seen where this block was actually an integral part of the forestock wood.  I would appreciate any comments and insights offered.   
Thanks, Loudy

« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 01:29:44 AM by Loudy »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: "Cant" Block for Central Pennsylvania Target Rifle?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 12:35:29 AM »
Rifling looks good
Andover, Vermont

Offline Loudy

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 04:07:40 AM »
Rich,
You sir have a good eye for fine rifling!  Our friend Mr. Bob Favier freshed her up for me several years ago.  I know you're familiar with the old-time techniques he employed.  He did it the same by-hand way it was done 150+ years ago.  Sure gonna miss that guy alot!  This is the only antique rifle I own that I will shoot occasionally.  Bought home meat a few years ago from the Easter Saturday shoot down in Bloomsdale. Fierce competition there.  Sure hope someone can help me understand what the block might have looked like that was originally used on this gun.
Loudy

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 06:02:05 PM »
I have seen wooden cant blocks on similar rifles.  They were massive. Not sure how they were attached. It would be easy to notch the block for a ramrod groove.  Would not have to take it off each time.  We all miss Bob.  He was a great friend and skilled craftsman as well as a great shot.
Don

Offline okieboy

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 08:06:20 PM »
 Are the holes visible in the picture wood screw holes, or thru holes for machine screws threads in the barrel? If they are for wood screws, I would not imagine that the block was massive, maybe 1x3x8". Obviously this is only speculation, but with a heavy gun like yours there is little need for the block to be heavy.
Okieboy

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 08:25:53 PM »
I would speculate that a cant block that extended past the sides of the rifle by 1 1/2" on either side would suffice to keep the rifle in a level attitude.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Loudy

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 01:27:33 AM »
Thank you for the replies.  The holes in the stock that were used to secure the cant block appear to be for wood screws, not threaded bolts.  It appears that the block was done by the gunsmith and not something that was added after it left his shop.  I say that because you can see some of the faux “tiger stripes” extend onto the flat where the block was mounted.  I’m planning on recreating an appropriate cant block for this gun.  I’ll post a photo of what I come up with.  Thanks again.
Loudy

Offline flinchrocket

Re: Cant Block for Central Pennsylvania Target Rifle?
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 03:46:05 AM »
Have you had the barrel out ? Did the screws go into the block from inside the barrel channel ?

Offline Loudy

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 05:07:19 AM »
Flinchrocket,
Yep, I’ve had the barrel off the gun. Didn’t notice if the holes go thru to the barrel channel.  I will take a closer look in a few days when I have time to work on it.  Thanks for the suggestion. 
Loudy

Offline jim alford

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 05:17:30 PM »
Loudy, what would be the chance of some more photos of this old rifle?

Offline Loudy

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 05:43:36 AM »
Jim,
No problem. I’ll get some photos and measurements of this gun posted in a couple days.  It was made by gunsmith Samuel Loudenslager in Snyder or Juanita County, PA.  Was planning on posting photos of this gun anyway in a new topic specifically about faux “tiger” striped guns.  I have a couple of these painted rifles. They’ve always intrigued me. 
Loudy

Offline Loudy

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 10:44:20 PM »
All,
I took the barrel off the gun to examine the holes for the screws or bolts used to mount the cant  block.  No sign of any relief areas around the holes to accommodate screw or bolt heads.  I suspect the cant block was simply mounted with a couple wood screws. 
Loudy

« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 12:37:06 AM by Loudy »

Offline Loudy

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2020, 10:55:56 PM »
Here are a couple photos of this rifle.  It was made by Samuel Loudenslager in Juniata County, PA. 
Loudy

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2020, 03:41:18 AM »
Doesn't seem like a lot of wood to hold a cant block, but I don't see any cracks. It is a nice old gun. Thanks for posting.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2020, 04:51:19 PM »
Wood screws would leave evidence.  I don't see any.  Rather, I think the cant block was removable via two pins which were placed in the holes.  It probably looked something like this.  I have seen original blocks shaped thusly.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Loudy

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2020, 12:02:21 AM »
T*O*F,
Thank you for the response!  I will make a block like this from a piece of hard maple.  I like your suggestion regarding the pins versus screws.  This would help explain how/why it got separated from the gun somewhere along the line.  Easy to see how an accoutrement like this could get misplaced over the years.  I'll post a photo of the finished block and rifle together. 
Loudy