Author Topic: August ALR Postal Match  (Read 6416 times)

Offline bob in the woods

Re: August ALR Postal Match
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2020, 01:42:54 AM »
Daryl, do the guns have to be shouldered , or is it OK to use my 4 bore swivel gun  ;D
Just kidding .  !!     Since it is actually a small cannon, with a touch hole, it may or may not still be legal what with the latest banning of any "firearm" with a bore of more than 20 mm here in Canada.
It would be really cool to see most of the black simply gone  after a shot  :)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2020, 05:36:30 AM »
Hmm - it is an offhand, as in standing event, Bob.
That gun sounds heavy. As to it's bore size & it's legality, the jury is still out at this time, I think.
However, THEY did say the signalling cannon in Stanley Park was now a prohibited firearm.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2020, 01:25:41 AM »
I've shot rifle competitions, BP and smokeless since 1973.  ...
alacran - you are right. A guy shooting a .75, we'll say with a .735" ball, if the ball was all inside the 8 ring, the inner edge would be cutting the 10 ring and
would score a 10, even though the centre of the ball would have scored a 9. If all 5 were identical, just inside the outer 8 ring, a center score of 45/50 would
become a 50/50 - yes.

But that's not an X.

A 50 can be beaten outright by five better scores. 50/x-50/5x.

I was in a tie breaker once where two of us shot 49/4x

X's count, and here they take half a ball, no matter the diameter. Good luck to all shooters.
Hold to the Wind

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2020, 01:34:13 AM »
You bet Wade!  I don't expect my target to stand for long.  the "x"'s will tell the winning target.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline alacran

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2020, 03:45:07 PM »
I've shot rifle competitions, BP and smokeless since 1973.  ...
alacran - you are right. A guy shooting a .75, we'll say with a .735" ball, if the ball was all inside the 8 ring, the inner edge would be cutting the 10 ring and
would score a 10, even though the centre of the ball would have scored a 9. If all 5 were identical, just inside the outer 8 ring, a center score of 45/50 would
become a 50/50 - yes.
First I'm not complaining about Daryl's shoot. I will shoot it as soon as the winds die down some.  However half of .66 is bigger than the whole of .32. just saying.

But that's not an X.

X's count, and here they take half a ball, no matter the diameter. Good luck to all shooters.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Daryl

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2020, 08:06:57 PM »

But that's not an X.

Taylor's .49/50 can be beaten by 7 possible scores. 49/50 1-X, then the 50, then .50 1-x through 5-x.

Good shooting, boys and girls!

OPPS - had to edit my post
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 07:11:06 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2020, 02:28:25 AM »
Well, I tried to shoot the target today , and was going along great ...first 2 shots were in the 10 with 1 X and the other a maybe.  3rd shot went off like a fused firecracker and I shot low ...an 8
When I went to load the 4th shot. black fouling soup sprayed out the vent, filled the pan and oozed down the stock.  It's excessively hot and extremely humid here today, and I 've not had to wipe the bore of my rifles between shots for years, but this .40, while really accurate, appears to be a lot more susceptible to this fouling gunk soup  :-[  I'll try again tomorrow, but will be equipped to wipe the bore between shots since this $#@* weather will continue for much of the week. 
I hate summer. 

• Member 3
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2020, 07:56:28 PM »
I have three more opportunities to better my score too, and believe me, I plan to do so.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2020, 11:04:41 PM »
I finally got some rang time.   This was also a tune up session for hunting season.   This target with my first ml, a 1974 Tc hawken 50 cal that I recently had bored to 54 by Robert Hoyt.  I'm very happy with his work.

Don't want to be presumptuous on the score.  Im calling it a 44.  If the consensus is that the upper left bull is a 45, i won't argue. :)  also,  the center bull,  X or not?

Leaving it up to my fellow members.

Mike Lee

• Member 3
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2020, 01:16:28 AM »
I'll start by proclaiming a score of 45..."X"'s must be 1/2 ball in to score...all others is simply a touch goes to the higher score, according to Daryl's rules...but the final tally will be up to him.
I shot my second target the other day with my Chambers' Virginia rifle  in .50 cal, and didn't do as well as I did on my first effort.  Will post a target this aft...

Taylor
D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2020, 01:39:12 AM »
Posting my second entry (of four)...not as good as my first effort, but best I could do on this occasion.  I found it fairly easy to hold on and hit the black mostly, but difficult to centre punch it...and that's where the points are.  I'm hoping more shooters will give this a try...pretty lonely so far this month!

D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2020, 03:16:17 AM »
Seems fine to me.   I  may not get a chance to shoot another one .
Mike Lee

Offline alacran

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2020, 01:27:04 AM »
Wind was fairly calm this morning so I went down to the creek bottom to shoot. Mind you the creek is bone dry right now.
Got out there about 11:30 am. Temp was 89 degrees, humidity 11%. There is no shade at the creek bottom. But that is preferable to a mega magnum moron emptying a magazine close to you.
Any way I first shot my flintlock target rifle. It has a Douglas xx .45 barrel. It is 40 inches long and one inch across the flats. The beast weighs 12.25 lbs.  Haven't been shooting it enough, so it wears me out.

I didn't place a score on this target, but it scores a 45 per Dary'ls rules.

As you can see this one scores a 46.
By this time the temperature was 91. Mirage was getting severe as the barrel was getting fairly hot, both from firing and the sun beating down on it.
Cleaned the rifle and went to my .54 Hawken. It has a GRRW barrel and comes in at a svelte 10.5 lbs.

By the time I shot this the temperature was 93. It was really hot out in the open sunshine. However the lighter barrel helped me shoot a little better. The target scored 49, by Daryls rule. Was going to shoot one more target, but was pretty much whipped after I shot this one.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2020, 03:35:21 AM »
All of those are great.
Mike Lee

• Member 3
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2020, 07:52:50 PM »
Nice shooting Alacran. 
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline little joe

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2020, 09:08:47 PM »
Alcran Shoot like you were in Indiana. I have saw you shoot better than that by NMLRA scoring

• Member 3
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2020, 09:41:12 PM »
With his recurve maybe!
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline alacran

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2020, 10:34:56 PM »
With his recurve maybe!
Taylor, I've met Little Joe about 10 years ago. I'm sure you used to shoot better 10 years ago.
But what I really want to know is, How did the Bohemian Mafia in Canada know that I shoot a recurve?

• Member 3
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2020, 11:08:27 PM »
I saw a movie of you shooting a great bull moose a few years ago, and had the pleasure of helping pack it out.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline alacran

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2020, 11:13:06 PM »
Wish that was true LOL.

Offline little joe

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2020, 02:22:52 AM »
What is a recurve?

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2020, 08:08:25 PM »
Those are what ya end up with when ya set out to make a real bow but it ends up all twisted and mis shaped.  Usually used for firewood.
Mike Lee

Online Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2020, 08:08:40 PM »

Here’s my first target for August, had a flyer on the second shot

Tony

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2020, 10:41:01 PM »
Some darn fine shooting going on this month! 'Ya all know scopes aren't allowed. Just kidding.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2020, 06:50:20 AM »
Its been along time since I shot in the postal match. I just got back my ringed .45 barrel from Bobby Hoyt  who bored and rifled it  to .5o cal. for me. I put it together and ran out to shoot my target. I had shot one practice target with three rounds and did almost a perfect 9, 3 and 6 on the small bore pistol target from a kneeling position and thought well lets just do it. I was all over the place trying to hold it and just got lucky that day.

I am bummed that when I pulled the lock out to clean up the shoulder for the hammer on the tumbler and figured to drop the shoulder closer to the plate so the hammer fits more squarely on the tumbler shaft and centered on the nipple. I found that one of the wings that support the mainspring link has snapped right off at the tumbler. :o I have a new one coming but what aggravation >:(
Dave Blaisdell