Author Topic: Jim Chambers Flintlocks  (Read 2976 times)

Offline Ezra

Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« on: August 04, 2020, 05:31:33 AM »
I’ve lived in Washington state for the last 28 years.  About 15 years ago, a business trip took me to North Carolina.  As such, I requested, and received authorization to take two days of annual leave while I was back there.  During those two days, I visited as much as I could.  I went to Colonial Williamsburg, Chimney Rock Park, The Biltmore Estate and visited my friend Brad Emig (gun maker extraordinaire) at Cabin Creek muzzleloading in Hellam, Pennsylvania.  But the pièce de résistance was my pre-arranged visit to Jim Chambers Flintlocks in
Candler, North Carolina.  It was such a pleasure to meet Jim and his wife as well as Barbi.  A nicer bunch of folks you would be hard pressed to find.
Therein lies my question.  The Chambers website is a bit dated regarding prices and other information.  I had heard that both Barbi and her Mom have been through some serious medical challenges in the last couple of years, and surely that is their business.  But does anyone know if Barbi is still running the sales at Jim Chambers Flintlocks as well as Buckeye Barrels?  Anybody done business with them recently?
Thanks guys.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline Daryl

Re: Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 05:37:14 AM »
Seems to me, Jim was on the forum a few days to a week ago.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 05:43:06 AM »
I talk to Barbie probably half the calls I make to Chambers locks. She was at the CLA last year and was doing well then.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 05:56:52 AM »
I talk to Barbie probably half the calls I make to Chambers locks. She was at the CLA last year and was doing well then.

Last gun I ordered, about a month ago, I called and Jim said Barbie was at the Drs office and would I call back in an hour or so. I did and ended up chatting it up for an hour and got my order placed. The best people.

Sounds about like she’s running the front end to me.

Offline AsMs

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 06:58:51 AM »
Bob,

How is that Chambers Rifle Kit coming along. Hoped you would show videos of the progress.

AsMs

lawrencea

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 10:35:17 AM »
I had an email from Barbie today.
Definitely still there and operational. :)

Offline JLSawyer

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 03:13:27 PM »
I spoke with both Jim and Barbie on the phone last week regarding brass castings and various other things. Can’t say enough about how nice they were to speak with and how helpful they were in answering my questions. I do wish they’d update their website some though. It could use it but it’s not a deal breaker for me.
Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 03:27:49 PM »
Bob,

How is that Chambers Rifle Kit coming along. Hoped you would show videos of the progress.

AsMs

I haven’t started it yet AsMs. It’ll be an early winter project looks like.

Bob

Offline JLSawyer

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 04:00:02 PM »
Bob,

AsMs

Bob

Your words exactly! What happened to that build timeline Bob? Hahaha. Just messing with yah. Look forward to that video series.

Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 04:19:39 PM »
Bob,

AsMs

Bob

Your words exactly! What happened to that build timeline Bob? Hahaha. Just messing with yah. Look forward to that video series.

Lol. Best laid plans of Mice and Men.

I’m a meme for not getting it done. Great.  :o  ;D

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 07:46:15 PM »
Ez!!   You should know to just pick up the phone and give me a call.   ;D   Better yet start planning another visit for when traveling opens back up, we'd love to have you come see us!  We are most certainly still in business and doing a booming one at that this year.  It seems boredom at home due to a stupid virus is a great motivator for gun building.  LOL

The webpage is the thorn in my side.  Each time I think we are going to take it to online ordering, a glitch or a internal issue pops up.  So it stands as is until I try once again to get it switched up sometime after the new year.  All the emails and phone numbers are still good on it though!!  My word of advice is if in doubt about a company, just reach out and communicate with them!   ;)

And now here's the scoop on the Chambers clan.... 
As for me... I am still fighting this ridiculous breast cancer.  When first diagnosed in 2018 there were two kinds of cancer in the tumor.  So we treated for the most prevalent one and we got it!  However, the other survived the chemo and radiation and showed itself again in April of this year right as the Covid insanity began.  That caused us to changed our approach to a bunch of things when it comes to doctors and surgeries and the such.  Since surgeries were not being allowed at the time, I went ahead and started chemo again in May and will finish up in October.  These three months of chemo have allowed enough time to lapse so that the healthcare world has figure out how to do surgeries and such while dealing with Covid.  Now, going forward come November I will have these "Assassin-Boobs" (I am DD7 rather than 007 - LOL!!)  removed for good and a new Barbie body built.   ;D ;D ;D    While all of this is going on, I am still running the shop, with adjusted work hours to allow for a bit more rest and utilizing my best daily energy spikes.  Mom and Dad are still working in the shop too, so the Chambers shop is fully operational and going strong, in fact I just hired another lock builder!!  WooHoo! 

As for Dad... His degenerative discs in his lower back have reached a point that surgery can no longer be avoided.  He is looking at a couple surgeries to get him straightened back out come September.  The recovery will be a bit lengthy but the doctor's results in other patients has been fabulous so hopefully with Dad's always healthy and quick healing self, he'll fly through surgery and physical therapy like no other.  He is still helping out in the shop, but I am trying my best to send him fishing as much as possible, and by fishing I mean sitting on the dock at the lake with a margarita in hand and enjoying the peacefulness.   : ;) :D

As for Mom... She came through all of her breast cancer treatments in 2018-2019 with flying colors.  She's still our mighty mouse in the family constantly working in the yards, in the shop, and around the house.  The chemo did a bit of a number on her memory but we are working on improving it each day.  Of course her positive and super friendly personality can not be stopped by anything so when you call and get her on the phone, plan on a business conversation that's more like talking to family.  Which is what we strive to treat each of our customers like anyway - Family!!   :D

So, I hope this gets everyone caught up with the crazy life of being a Chambers right now.  Thank you to everyone for your business, your support, and your kindness.  I always tell people who aren't part of the Muzzleloading world that they are missing out because it is a world where we are all one big family.  I have the best job I could have ever asked for because I have the BEST customers!! 
Much love to all of you from us, stay safe, and by all means keep your powder dry!! 
Barbie :-*
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2020, 08:01:43 PM »
Barbi,
Sounds like you all have gone through a lot, praying that things will soon be better. Jim mentioned to me the other day about his upcoming back surgeries hopefully he will have as good results as my two gave me a couple of years ago, back pain gone but it didn't  do much for the arthritis that runs in my family but I can cope with that. Best to all of you.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 12:51:19 AM »
Next time I go to hang out with  Nancy Estes I'll ask her if her Husband Wayne and I can come over for a visit! ;D  I'll bring my fishin pole too!

NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2020, 01:12:39 AM »
 God Bless You All.

Tim

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2020, 03:02:09 AM »
Mike,
I sure miss those days when we used to teach together at Conner Prairie and hang out at Friendship.  Wish we could have some of those good times back.
You and Wayne are definitely welcome to come for a visit and to catch some fish.  I have a pond full of bass and bream here at home, or we can go down to Lake Keowee and have a go at those hybrid bass.  Sometimes in the late afternoon I take the boat out to a really wide place in the lake, turn it off, and just sit there watching the sunset.  Sometimes fishing is just too much like work.
To everyone else, thanks for all the kind words and wishes for Barbie, Karen and me.  Health issues have certainly knocked up down the past couple of years, but we're not out yet.  If we can just get through the rest of this year next year is looking really good.

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2020, 05:56:51 AM »
Jim, Barbie and Karen,
You folks are certainly overdue for more mountains than valleys! Sound as you all have gone through trials and tribulations but you all have persevered and we prayerfully pray you will soon see the light at the end of the tunnel. You all have stuck together and we will keep you in our prayers for quick recoveries for all of you and and smoother sailing into 2021. God’s speed!
elkhorne

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2020, 11:38:45 AM »
Barbie and Jim,
Even with the small amount of contact we've had...You folks have made me feel like family with your caring attitude for my questions and the fabulous service you have provided for even my small needs. I really appreciate your bringing us all here in the ALR family up to date on your tribulations. I will add the whole Chambers family to my prayers for God's blessing. Ya'll are the best folks and will come through this. God Bless you and hold you in his hands. Looking forward to seeing you all again when we can all return to Friendship.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2020, 01:50:45 PM »
Godspeed all of you...

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2020, 02:10:23 PM »
Mike,
I sure miss those days when we used to teach together at Conner Prairie and hang out at Friendship.  Wish we could have some of those good times back.
You and Wayne are definitely welcome to come for a visit and to catch some fish.  I have a pond full of bass and bream here at home, or we can go down to Lake Keowee and have a go at those hybrid bass.  Sometimes in the late afternoon I take the boat out to a really wide place in the lake, turn it off, and just sit there watching the sunset.  Sometimes fishing is just too much like work.
To everyone else, thanks for all the kind words and wishes for Barbie, Karen and me.  Health issues have certainly knocked up down the past couple of years, but we're not out yet.  If we can just get through the rest of this year next year is looking really good.
I  miss those days too. We sure were handsome fellers back then! ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Percy

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2020, 03:29:41 PM »
God bless all the Chanbers clan. Some of the best people I've ever dealt with.

Percy

Offline StevenV

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2020, 09:46:33 PM »
Barbie thanks for the update, hope all works out for the better. I can not say enough about your clan they have been fantastic when ever I called for supplies, friendly honest and very helpful. At one of the shows my daughter was with me and Jim and I got talking 1/2 hr.later as we were walking away my daughter says , "boy he is really nice". I 'll say a prayer that all works out, you people have been priceless to this "hobby" of making one shot guns that breathe fire.  Steve

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2020, 05:48:37 PM »
Dear Chambers Family,

I keep you all in my prayers for a victory over you health challenges.

Very Best Regards,

JMC
John Cholin